Skip to content

Avenger idea?

I have played the BG saga many times over the years and have never played a druid. I am intrigued by the avenger, less for the additional spells (although that is cool) but more for the additional Shapeshifting. Of course, the extra shapes I would assume lose their effectiveness at some point in BG2. I was thinking of eekeepering me up a shapeshifter avenger by adding at key points additional shapes from mage spells into my innate bar – maybe for instance the ogre and mustard jelly forms at level 12 and the iron golem, illithid forms as soon as I get to HLAs.

My goal isn’t to be OP or to cheat really – but to just have a druid who can change into a multitude of forms that are useful over the long haul, and the only forms I can add through ee keeper on the innate bar are the ones from mage spells, so, hence…

I would limit myself to a certain number of forms per day per level to keep within the rules of the avenger (in other words, more forms but not more uses of the total number of forms). I would spend far less time casting spells, as I will be in forms – so while I will use high level druid spells when a human, that would be a secondary role.

If I knew how to create a new class altogether I would do so to create a true shifter (as opposed to the werewolf only version or the limited shifts of the avenger).

Thoughts?

Many thanks
elminsterFinneousPJ

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    Might be better to go with the shapeshifter then and add forms to that. The avengers forms are quite powerful in BG1 and close to useless (exception spider form) in BG2. The main part of playing the Avenger is his spells.

Also you with the cloak of the sewers (BG2) and the wolf one (BG1) you'll be getting even more forms. Grab the shapeshifter, remove greater werewolf form (keep normal one) add the avenger's forms and then go with that.

Both the Illithid and Golem form would be way over the top even as HLA in my opinion, so i wouldn't give those to your druid. The Iron golem form wouldn't make sense and the Mindflayer can kill pretty much anything quickly.

You can change the Druid forms in EEkeeper, not so sure about the Illithid/Iron golem one.
    Blackravenjackjack
  • SweetMagooMagoodleSweetMagooMagoodle Member Posts: 40
    Thanks -- i was pondering Golem and illithid as once a day uses and really they would be no more powerful for a druid than for a mage who already has them. In fact maybe less so because I would have fewer protections. My last fighter/mage run through I found both those forms very useful in some situations, but not in others. I was often killed as an illithid as soon as my protections were dispelled (playing scs) for instance -- and I couldn't get through stoneskins and other enemy protections in either form. I consider those forms appropriately powerful for TOB but not overpowered -- especially if I use them for one fight each per day.

And thanks for the suggestion about the cloaks -- I thought of that too but the idea would be my druid could naturally turn and not need supporting magic items to do so.

Your other suggestion about shapeshifter instead of avenger as base is interesting -- would lose the spell advantage (but I may keep web because what is a spider without?)

• SweetMagooMagoodleSweetMagooMagoodle Member Posts: 40
    oh, also I should mention I already tried experimenting with the viability of the build through eekeeper and it does seem to work with some minor tinkering -- adding the illithid and golem forms for instance works fine
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

Thanks -- i was pondering Golem and illithid as once a day uses and really they would be no more powerful for a druid than for a mage who already has them. In fact maybe less so because I would have fewer protections. My last fighter/mage run through I found both those forms very useful in some situations, but not in others. I was often killed as an illithid as soon as my protections were dispelled (playing scs) for instance -- and I couldn't get through stoneskins and other enemy protections in either form. I consider those forms appropriately powerful for TOB but not overpowered -- especially if I use them for one fight each per day.

And thanks for the suggestion about the cloaks -- I thought of that too but the idea would be my druid could naturally turn and not need supporting magic items to do so.

Your other suggestion about shapeshifter instead of avenger as base is interesting -- would lose the spell advantage (but I may keep web because what is a spider without?)

I remember the Iron golem doing massive damage and the Mind Flayer will rip apart any foe if they aren't attacked. So if you're playing solo both forms would be great, but if you're in a party and have a designated tank you'll be shredding things with your Iron golem/Mind flayer form, especially the flayer. Remember the Mind flayer will still kill someone that has stoneskin, as it'll drain intellect.

The cloaks are a nice extra touch especially the sewer one. I could see a druid having been gifted a cloak by his mentor to enhance his abilities. I can understand if you don't want to use them, but it's an option.

I would pick the Shapeshifter base because it's name and the weakness makes sense. You could add web to your spell list, it also surprises me that druids don't have it to start with.

The normal werewolf form could be something that you picked up RP wise. You got bitten but thanks to your knowledge with shapeshifting you were able to survive and somewhat gain control over it. I wouldn't give the character Greater Werewolf though as that would just make all your other forms useless. The normal werewolf form would be up there with the Sword Spider.
    Blackraven