Skip to content

Online fantasy f2p p2w card games - anyone else here into them?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hi, friends, I just got "sucked into" the Might and Magic online card game, based on Steam putting it into my Library automatically, accompanied by a few ingenious "hook" advertisements.

I've always scoffed and said "Not I, never, too smart am I, yada, yada, never, never" to the various f2p "schemes" out there.

Basically, they all give you the game for free. Then, if you play it and become enamored of it, they offer you all manner of Skinnerian reinforcements to get you to keep playing like a good little Pavlov's dog. At a certain point, you will hit a wall against your progress that will require you to start spending real money if you want to keep progressing in the game that you now "love". So, yeah.

I am wondering if anybody else here on the EE forums plays one of these games?

I know that Blizz has just come out with a new card game on this model called "Hearthstone", which I had rejected out of hand, but that I am now tempted to try when I get done with this one. (Might and Magic).

One potentially good thing that I can see about it, is that it really is a very engaging and fun card game, and I would love to play a few "duels" with anybody that I know from this EE website.

Also, are there any similar online games based on the old "Magic: the Gathering" card game, or on Pokémon (which I only know that I might like by having discovered that I love Blizz's "petbattling" game more than any of their other previous offerings in WoW)?

Thanks. I figure that if anybody can give me the lowdown on these online card games, and if I could find any friends who might mutually enjoy playing these kinds of games with me, it would be the people on this forum. :)