Skip to content

A new race in BG1 and BG2: Shadar-kai

Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
''The shadar-kai, or shadow fey, are a race of bitter, determined folk whose souls are poisoned by shadow. Grayskinned and dark-eyed, the slender shadar-kai stand slightly taller than average humans, and their soft movements exude grace and uncanny stealth. Shadow follows the shadar-kai wherever they go. Shadows cast by the folds of their clothing seem deeper than those on humanoids, and a shadar-kai can seemingly fade out of sight by simply stepping into any common shadow. The shadar-kai prefer light weapons suited for grace and agility, especially spiked chains. Many shadar-kai favor a variety of piercings and tattoos.''

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shadar-kai

I dont know if we will have Aasimar and Tiefling in addition of Half-Orc in Bg1 and Bg2 but if yes, why not Shadar-kai?

Comments

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    There were only very, very few Shadar-Kai in Faerun prior to the return of Netheril in 1372 DR. Baldur's Gate is set several years before that. Because of that, I don't think Shadar-Kai should be a playable race - they are very, very rare on the material plane, as the wiki article states.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited August 2012
    Maybe as NPC, like Haer'Dalis who is a Tiefling, also not the most comman race.

Also you have parents, (possible spoilers below for new gamer)
    But always remember that you are born out of a female-priest of Bhaal and you are saved and raised by Gorion in Candlekeep
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Do we actually know that she was human though?
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    We don't know the race, she could be Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling ...
    Aasimar is also unlikely I think, maybe she's a Xvart..
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    i like race variety, so i'd take it.
  • PromilusPromilus Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2012

We don't know the race, she could be Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling ...
    Aasimar is also unlikely I think, maybe she's a Xvart..

All races are equally likely because it's not canonical ... You can start as elf? Yes. But Bhaal's avatar wasn't elf right? Right. So... if he can produce with elven female full-blood elf he could do the same with dragon, succubi etc. But wait - you can choose half-elf and half-ork right? That makes human-elf/human-ork mix - so he apparently can produce tiefling and aasimar as well (by raping succubi or deva). Long story short - charname could be any race or subrace "native" to Toril due to "children of Bhaal" inconsistencies. But it's just a cRPG, not pen and paper... I wouldn't go too far with that.