Skip to content

Party for Archer

So, after an incredibly easy solo through BGI:EE with an elven archer (seriously, Sarevok and his goonies never had a chance), I decided to play with a full party in BGII. Who do you think makes for a good party, with funny banter?

Right now my party consists of:

PC - Elven Archer
Jaheira (romance)
Minsc
Anomen
Jan
Viconia

I'm trying Anomen out, since I never really gave him a fair chance before and I've seen people say that his arc is actually fairly interesting and complex. So I think I'll keep him, at least for a little while.

Jaheira is my romance of choice and I can't see myself telling her to go away, especially after what happened with Khalid. It's strange to let go of Minsc for the same reasons, but he *is* rather unstable and could be a menace to the party.

The spot currently occupied by Viconia is for the different quest NPCs, to be filled by Imoen when at Spellhold.

With that in mind, who would you pick as the permanent party members, through the entire game, including ToB?

Thanks!

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Elven Archer
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Jan
    Anomen
    Viconia/Imoen/Random member.

Then replace Anomen with Sarevok in ToB for something like this.

Elven Archer
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Jan
    Imoen
    Sarevok
  • mrdeluxemrdeluxe Member Posts: 98
    @SionIV‌ That was what I had in mind, but now I wanted to try different combinations, like Valygar and Mazzy, Keldorn and Anomen… but I don't know who to take out.

Perhaps swapping Minsc for Valygar and having Mazzy join during Umar Hills and the Planner Sphere?
    Then swapping Mazzy for Keldorn during the Unseeing Eye quest and the Windspear Hills…

BTW: Having never played ToB for long, who do you think has the best banter in it? I'm guessing Sarevok…
  • mrdeluxemrdeluxe Member Posts: 98
    P.S.: I think all NPCs should have a natural cut-off points, like Keldorn. That would make everything much easier.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    Keldorn is a powerful character but he doesn't have that many interactions with the exception of Anomen.

Jan and Minsc are amazing together, you'll want both of them. Jan is great with pretty much everyone, but the lines he has with Minsc are just pure gold. He also has great lines with Viconia.

Mazzy and Valygar are great together for their dialogues. She'll try to recruit him as her squire, very cute.

The problem with the characters that you want is that every single one of them is a front line melee powerhouse. It would be easier to split them up over several runs. I would try to make it something like this.

Elven Archer
    Jaheira
    Jan
    Keldorn
    Anomen
    Random/Imoen

I wouldn't take Viconia as the last member as she'll end up fighting with Keldorn and you don't need two clerics and a druid in your party.

Sarevok and Imoen have the best Banter in ToB.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014
    Strictly from a powergaming perspective I would say.

Keep Anomen. Scrap Minsc for Sarevok.

But as SionIV notes Minsc has a bunch of good lines with Jan in ToB. So you might want to keep him.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Wilson.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    I have a hard time dropping someone for Sarevok, by the time he can join I'm pretty much comfortable with my characters who have earned their spots, like the time Nalia dealt the final blow to Firkragg when I was sure I was about to get a game over, or when Anomen freaking turned the lich in the underdark I did not know that was possible, of course I was probably overleveled at the time but it was still awesome.

I do like using him, and will if I start a new ToB game, but if I'm transferring from SoA I can't really justify kicking anyone out.