Skip to content

Which kit might use the Jester's chain +4

I saved up all my coin in Spellhold and acquired the Jester's Chain +4, which seemed really neat until I realized that it still shuts off spells like any other chain. Given it is not a spell-chain, what kits or NPCs are there where a strong chain mail would be considered the best armor to be wearing, rather than something heavier - if we are already invested in metal armor?

It is a fun piece of kit, and I would really like an excuse to wear it - maybe it really is time to roll up a Jester, and take it just for RP giggles?

Comments

• DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I never get the jester's chain. I always get the boots of speed + boots of the north.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i also felt like this should not have disabled wizard spells.. wearing it makes you look like a twit, that in itself is punishment enough
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Beauty is in the eye(eyes?) of The Beholder.
    Myself, I find it rather dashing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited May 2014
    simples said:

i also felt like this should not have disabled wizard spells.. wearing it makes you look like a twit, that in itself is punishment enough

From a gameplay standpoint it certainly makes no sense for you to get this item, which is clearly for jesters, that you can' cast spells by wearing. But at the same time the lore around the item doesn't suggest it shares the properties of elven chainmail that allow for you to cast spells while wearing it.

Edit: I figured I'd just attach the weapons description to my post.

Friends of Dekirh Fasthands, a bard who insisted on playing the rowdiest towns on the Sword Coast, gave him this suit of magical chain as a gift. The chain mail was given to protect Dekirh from the drunken spectators who often threw rotting produce, chairs, and even knives at Dekirh. The bard appreciated the gift but painted it with wild colors to better fit into his show.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 1 (-1 vs. slashing, 3 vs. crushing)
    Requires:
    8 Strength

Weight: 8

Post edited by elminster on
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    agreed. what a conundrum this item turned out to be!