Skip to content

Chat Function ? .

lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
edited June 2012 in Site Resources
Should we have a chat function for users in here. Like IRC or other chats.
Or is it ok with talking in forums, and filling up space with comments :P
On one point we actually can talk about stuff in real time, and not wait for answers. Perhabs take a quarrel there and post the agreement in here ??

Theres a lot of pros and cons...

Comments

• HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I think seeing the actual quarrel can be helpful too. The disadvantage of course is that posts are much longer and it's more difficult for the devs to read through it quickly.

On the flip side it helps the devs understand the arguments going on. Knowing that players want something is one thing, knowing WHY they want it is another. If you know why someone wants something you suddenly open up a whole range of options for potentially solving the problem in different ways.

Also posting the 'results' as it were can sometimes be misleading if it is misinterpreted. Seeing the argument can limit confusion and misunderstanding.

I appreciate on the flip side of the coin you could say, quarrel via real time chat and then set out the agreement with the reasons and explanation.

• ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    I would like chat system as well, but not necessarily included on the bottom of the forum as a shout box. Just regular chat in the hyperlink. I think it would improve community of BG:EE, which is getting bigger and bigger.

Also, maybe some new forum category, strictly social one, where we could just talk (with like/dislike mode off) about stuff? I know the forum is kinda fresh and you want us to focus on requests, bug reports and advises, but strengthening the bound between the users may provide good results :)
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2012
    So if i can get a chat up and running, nobody would mind i see :P
    They just dont care hehe :O)
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    Yes, actually I wrote a message to some of the admins and he said I could run chat on my own. Just didn't have time, besides I'm not adequate person to do so ;)
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    edited June 2012
    Well getting an IRC chatroom running isnt that difficult, someone just need to start one, preferably get a support for it from devs and do a good job on advertising it here in the forums and elsewhere.

Im certainly willing to jump right in. :)
    Post edited by beo on
    Well i know one who can get one up and running. But perhaps a good idea to get the support from The BGEE Team first.
    @TrentOster, @PhillipDaigle, @CameronTofer, @Coriander, @ScottBrooks, @DanBoulos.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @lordkim good idea, it can add a sense of community sometimes, not sure if it is better official or unofficial though. If official I'm not sure the devs have time at the moment to make it happen.
    Well an unofficial is ok, but would look cool if one or more of the Org. bgee team are on it... :P
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I know that I don't have time to be on a chat. I think that forums are more our(the team's) speed.
    i rather also see you commit to the game than there :O)
    But i look into an unofficial chat.. :O)
  • looterlooter Member Posts: 12
    I think an IRC setup and a link to a page with mibbit would be fine, people could use both, with forums being the primary way of communication ofcourse.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    Mibbit or something like this http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=bgee&uio=OT10cnVlJjExPTQx30 which can be placed into an iframe on the website, although there is a captcha.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Good thought. We're a little slammed at the moment. Might be a bit before we can be involved.
    -Trent
    Just commenting on this again since its a old thread. Perhaps new user would like to join.
    Anyone capable to make a chatroom (unofficial)...
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    So I can talk your eyes out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kmfDeasuoA
  • Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    I dont read all messages. But real time chat is very interesting idea.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    Ok, then join the BG:EE channel on quakenet.
    You can use any IRC client or use web: webchat.quakenet.org
    We need at least a couple of people in the channel constantly for some time to register it, so please stay on the channel even if you are not chatting as long as you can.
    After it's registered, we can talk about moderation etc.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    bumb

bumb

bumb bumb..