Skip to content

Adding Custom Spells to Clerics

TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
edited May 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
Hey everyone, I made some custom spells for clerics using DLTCEP, and now I'm wondering just how to get them to show up in the cleric's spellbook (with custom strings for the description and name). Is there a table or something that controls which spells a cleric gets at what level, or is that hardcoded into the game?

Also, how would a modern, Weidu mod take care of this problem? I'm assuming there's some way for Weidu to force-add custom spells into BG2 because a lot of people have made their own spell packs, though I'm not sure how it's actually done (links to a very simplified, step-by-step tutorial would be most welcome).

Sorry for the noobish questions; this is the first time I'm putting together a mod for BG2EE.

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Refer to ADD_SPELL.

As a practical example, adding a spell as a 2nd-level priest spell:
    ADD_SPELL "yourmod/some.spl" 1 /* spell type; 1 = priest */ 2 /* spell level */ CLERIC_SOME_SPELL /* script/internal name */ SAY NAME1 ~This is the name of the spell~ SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~This is the description of the spell~
    Bear in mind there is a finite (in some cases very finite) number of available slots for new spells.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2014
    @Wisp
    Oh man, you're a lifesaver.

So, basically all I need to do is create my spells in DLTCEP, and leave the name/description strings empty, right? Since wiedu inserts those. And if I have, say, 5 spells, can I paste the ADD_SPELL for the following spell under the description of the last one? Also, does this method work with the Enhanced Edition? I might be wrong, but I thought weidu didn't play nice with the EE, as there are still a bunch of mods that can't or won't work with the EE.

And, would you happen to know where I could find a more up-to-date weidu tutorial that walks you through mod creation from start to finish? Nothing fancy, just the basics of putting it all together so it'll work with the current version of the game. What tutorials I managed to find were all from 2007 or something, and many of them are waaaay out of date.

Initially, I had hoped weidu's online documentation would point me in the right direction, but instead it just made me curl up into a little ball and cry in desperation.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited May 2014
    Any time you wish to add new text or alter existing text, you should use WeiDU. Other tools can do it, in the sense that it is not impossible, but it is not something you (ever) should do. So yes, if you create your spells with DLTCEP, you do nothing involving custom text until you get to installing the spells with WeiDU.

WeiDU works fine with the EEs. Mods that are not yet compatible with either or both of the EEs are so for other reasons.

You may be interested in reading this. (In this particular case, you'd use one or more ADD_SPELLs, one for each spell you wish to add, instead of the example's COPY.)

As for additional tutorials, your question is rather broad. "Mod creation" is a vast subject, and depends greatly on what you want to do (e.g., NPCs are entirely different from spells or items). But no, assuming your interest is spells, I don't know of anything I feel comfortable recommending.