Skip to content

Easy custom portraits

ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
I always liked to have my own portrait uploaded, but it was a bit problematic - the size of the graphic was limited, as well as the requirement of *.bmp format.

My request is to let people upload larger, *.jpg images and then crop the area of the image one want to see as a portrait.

Comments

• technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    A separate app, maybe, like a custom portrait maker that can handle any format and size.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    No reason it can't be done dynamically within the game. But why only crop and not resize as well? :D
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    @caruga

Well resizing was implicit in my previous post. Either way I think it has to be thought through by some of the Makers.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    A more versatile built-in importer shouldn't that hard to implement.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    This would be fantastic. Especially on Mac OS X and on the iPad, where making the files and managing them is a bit harder. On OS X it would be great to just select an image from my computer and crop and resize it easily.

This is even more of a necessity on the iPad where you only have access to images in your pictures app.

I know making this a seamless process would mean a lot more people would be willing and able to customize their portraits.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    I was checking out @TrentOster twitter feed and I saw this.
    "We want to support using iPad images for portraits, but at the moment, that is on the post-release work pile."
    So it looks like easy custom portraits are indeed coming to at least the iPad. I hope the Mac and PC versions get something similarly easy. On the iPad all you do is select an image from your Pictures folder then move and scale it to fit the specified box.

A similar feature upgrade I'd like to see, is when playing a multiplayer game online, you download the custom portraits of your fellow party members automatically.
    I think originally, if you were playing a multiplayer game, you and your friends had to pre-download and install all of the custom portraits that everyone would be using before hand or you would not to be able to see other players custom portraits onilne, just a blank space instead.

In the same vein it would be cool if cloud saves would auto-sync your custom portrait between devices.

I just want the whole process to be as easy and seamless as possible to let everyone enjoy this customization feature.
  • cmolendacmolenda Member Posts: 5
    Yes to easier custom portraits
    Yes to not having to have your friends install them so that they can be viewed in multiplayer

I remember doing multiplayer years ago and making this really goofy image for my character then being extremely disappointed when I asked my friends what they thought of my portrait and the effective respones being "What are you talking about?"
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Yes! oh yes! I always wanted to have Shapiro Keats(from Dancouga) portrait as neutral evil mage or Domon's picture(G Gundam) as a chaotic good monk.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It would be a great addition. Mind you, I usually make my portraits viable thanks to programs like Gimp, but I needed a lot of practice to get where I am right now (don't mind my Boovatar, that thing is 2 years old anyway)

So if at all possible, more support for portraits would be great, especially for new players. They might feel more comfortable and welcome that way. IF possible of course :)
  • VagdishVagdish Member Posts: 20
    Pardon me to necro the thread, but I've made a small software in Python to crop, resize and rename any pictures to be used in BG:EE.
    A batch processing is also available.

Here is the thread:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19194/bg-portraits-creator
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Vagdish said:

Pardon me to necro the thread, but I've made a small software in Python to crop, resize and rename any pictures to be used in BG:EE.
    A batch processing is also available.

Here is the thread:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19194/bg-portraits-creator

Thats awesome!