Skip to content

What is Your Favorite Arcane Spell?

2»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited May 2014
    I'm actually surprised more people don't list Magic Missile. It's the first damage spell that most wizards learn, and it still remains at least tangentially relevant throughout a Wizard's career as steady and mostly unblockable damage.
    Post edited by the_spyder on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I'm a rather "physical" player. For this reason anything that effectively dispels those annoying enemy protections, allowing me to sort things out with fisticuffs, works for me.
    I've never bothered with finding out which dispels work against which protections (find the whole scaling protections/dispels thing a bit tedious). Breach is the spell I use most though, since it seems to work in most cases. If I cast a Breach and it doesn't do anything, I usuallly look if I have a higher level dispel available such as Pierce Magic or Ruby Ray. I guess I'm quite sloppy with my arcane magic.
    If I liked Keldorn I would just bring him along everytime I reach SoA, just to get those mage fights over and done with.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2014
    Probably the most satisfyingly fun spell for me is Polymorph Other; and the bigger and badder the opponent, then the sweeter it is when it succeeds. It's hard to beat seeing a dragon turned into a squirrel!

I like Slow, Ghoul Touch, and Vampiric Touch for mages who like to fight up close and personal. Color Spray is also fun to watch for that type of character.

For BG2 I guess Time Stop and Gate are pretty awe-inspiring to me.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2014
    Cowkill rocks also, as a possible outcome of a wild surge with Nahal's.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Magic Missile

( or, as Mr Welch has put it in his "List of things Mr.Welch is no longer allowed to do in RPGs"
    69. There is more to wizardry than magic missile. Even if I can do 200 damage automatic with no save. )
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Timestop.
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    By the way, how do you get Dimension Door?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014
    abazigal5 said:

By the way, how do you get Dimension Door?

The only way in BGEE/BG2EE/BG2 is to console it in (or mod the game to introduce acrolls for it somewhere). It only was accessible for players (without the console) in the original BG1.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Magic Missiles followed by fireballs!

pew pew pew fsshhhhh! Roast 'em!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    One of my favorite spells though is the first level sleep. When I discovered this spell the early parts of the first Baldur's Gate became only half as impossible.
    Especially great against those stupid kobolds that one shot the Imoen-types with their fire arrows.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @booinyoureyes - agreed about sleep. It is essential in any of my low level romps. Although, to be fair, I am usually 4th-5th level before I go up against Kobold commandos.