Skip to content

Mazzy v. Rasaad v. Anomen v. Jaheira v. Neera - Just can't decide

Playing a mostly good (Jaheira and early Anomen excluded) run through and just can't decide who to leave out. Although I played the original BG when it was released, this is my first BG2 playthrough and trying not to look up much. Only in Chapter 2, although closing out a lot of quests before advancing.

Party that I'm currently sold on:

Main - Dwarven Fighter/Cleric from BG1, strong, wise and hardy, but no dex and mistake of spec in shields (working on changing that).
Keldorn
Nalia (replaced by Imoen eventually due to space constraints)

Members I think I'd probably like to keep:
Anomen (especially now that he's good and with increased wisdom)
Jaheira (messed up and gave her two handed instead of two weapon with first prof, but still feel loyal to her since she's been there since the beginning.

I was originally going to go with Rasaad as the sixth since I like the idea of a monk and used to play PnP with that class, but then I found Mazzy and liked her as well (although I'll work on setting her up to dual short swords and use her bow since she already specialized in short swords). Then there's also Neera, who I romanced in BGEE. Another consideration is that I'd on occassion like to pick up people for just the quest they are initially associated with (Valygar, others?). I don't want to weaken an end game character by having them miss out on exp though.

So conflicted and mainly venting frustration, but opinions are also welcome. Ha.

Comments

• VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    Well, Anomen pretty much fills the same role as your charname, so (for party balance, at least) there's not a strong motivation to keep him around. If you're planning to get rid of Nalia later on anyway, might as well do it now and add Neera. (Also, I'm fairly certain that Neera is the only NPC your dwarven main can romance, so that may be a consideration as well.) Nalia doesn't have enough points in her thieving skills to be of much use in that role, so won't lose much by dropping her (though you may want to temporarily add a real thief - for your party, either Jan or Yoshimo would work - until you pick up Imoen)

So, that would give you charname, Keldorn, Neera, and [thief to be replaced by Imoen] so far, with a choice of two of Jaheira, Mazzy, and Rasaad. Or, if you think you can get by without a thief for a while, you could try all three and see which ones fit your playing style the best.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited May 2014
    Based on Charname's classes I would drop Anomen.

You can buy Jaheira the staff of arundel from Joluv (in the copper coronet). That way she can use staffs in combat. She won't be as damaging as she would be with a speed weapon or a club/scimitar but it will give her more options when it comes to casting in the middle of combat/prior to it.
  • bjornebjorne Member Posts: 32
    @Vakarian and @elminster Thanks for the comments from both of you.

I've kind of been holding on to Anomen because I like to have a lot of healing after battles to minimize rest, I have a soft spot for clerics, and because I figured he'd get far more and better upper level spells and better turning than the main since my main is multi. I already see the vampires coming. I'm guessing you two have more exp with BG2 than I do... Am I going to be hurting by not having a high level cleric if I get rid of Anomen?
    I mean he certainly is going to be better than you against undead (especially liches because of sunray) but the spells he will get before you certainly aren't required. Especially if you have a few Lesser Restoration/Negative Plane Protection spells (both level 4) available (for fighting vampires).

Basically you will lose out of course by now taking Anomen but I think you'd gain more from taking another party member instead.
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2014
    Personally, I never found turn undead all that useful - the low-level mobs are easy enough, and you won't do much to the difficult undead even with a single-class cleric until late in the game (and I hate having to chase down the ones that run off from the fear effect). Plus there are plenty of weapons/spells/items specifically for dealing with undead, so no big loss. And if you take Jaheira along, you should have plenty of healing to go around between the two of you.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    id go Mazzy mostly just because she's my favourite plus shes very good.

obviously I can only speak for myself but I encountered a lot of issues with Rasaad so id probably leave him out or at least do his SOA quest then switch him out

also id switch out Anomen maybe for Neera. I don't see him really being needed for your party
    edited May 2014
    Yea you need to be 7 levels higher than the undead in order to destroy them with turn undead. For your basic lich you'd need to be at least level 18 for this to work. A demilich would require you to be level 34 and (only applicable if Cernd was in your party) Deril's lich would require you to be level 36!

Generally still works well for vampires though.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I am currently running a similar party consisting of Anomen, Keldorn, Imoen, Aerie, Rasaad and my Charname. I already replaced Jaheira with Anomen, because frankly I was sick of having her in my party all the time.

If I were to do it again, I would probably replace Rasaad with Mazzy or Valygar. Heck, I might still do it. Rasaad is a cool guy to have around, a little monosyllabic, maybe, but still pretty cool. Unlike many, I don't take issue with his personality or his (Mark Meer's) exaggerated fake Turkish accent. What I do take issue with is the fact that he, being a monk, becomes way, way too powerful by the time you hit mid-to-late SoA.

Consider this: at level 23 (Chapter 6), he has a THAC0 of -10 and, after one potion of invulnerability, an AC of -19, 74% Magic Resistance and sub-zero saving throws. I am running SCS and have the difficulty slider turned up to Insane, but this guy still makes me feel like I'm playing in god mode. I can tank pretty much any spell caster, take on a full Beholder hive or a group of Mind Flayers and still escape unscathed. So, unless you enjoy this kind of power play, I would suggest eschewing Rasaad for a more balanced (and arguably more talkative) party member, such as Mazzy.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Clerics are the most dispensable class in the game IMO.
    Healing is good but getting little or no damage is better.

Regarding anomen :
    - You already have a fighter cleric charname
    - anomen has no dex, just as charname and keldorn and you can have only 1 pair of gauntlets of dex.
    - if you really want a second divine caster, jahiera is the way to go since druid spells at level 5/6/7 are much better than clerics and she ends up eventually a much better fighter than anomen.

For me, anomen should go.

For the rest, you party is quite light arcane magic-wise and has virtually no thief.
    Adding Jan jansen and Neera would solve both issues.

Another possibility is to take haer dalis.

Option 1 :
    Charname/ keldorn/ rasaad or mazzy /jan/ neera/ jaheira

Option 2 : put haer dalis on either rasaad/mazzy (arcane heavy) or neera (melee/heavy)
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Coming to the end of my first BG2 SoA run in a decade, I will note that some characters seem to participate more than others. I had a blast cycling out the sixth character early on and completing (almost) everyone's personal quest, so that works, but my 6th party member is now quite a bit behind the rest for XP, so rotating the dropped member makes more sense.

In terms of NPCs, Jaheira seems to be the one that game devs went to town on, her personal quest/romance just keeps running and running for most the length of the game, I don't think anyone else comes close in terms of questing from the original game. The 4 new NPCs all have reasonably full personal quests too, although they can be run in a much more focussed way.

So I would suggest you keep Jaheira for a first run, although expect her leveling to be slow after the initial spurt. Druids take forever to level, and that goes double for a multi class. For most of the game, you will feel like you are advancing a fighter with levels twice as expensive as they should be - but by this time Jaheira will already have level 6 druid spells, so the early levels do pay off fast.

The other stand-out character for me has been Jan, who I always found too irritating to play before. I finally took him as my thief this time around, and he simply has an aswer for everything. Not much in the way of personal quest, but banters everywhere with everyone (and perhaps a little less annoying as the game moves on) - probably someone to consider on your next play through.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    A second divine caster isn't absolutely essential, but it's very helpful. Since your protagonist is only a half caster, I'd prefer a whole caster for the other one, i.e. Anomen, because he's an awesome caster and undead-turner at end-of-game levels, whereas Jaheira (although a very solid and useful character) is a half-warrior and half-caster too similar to your protagonist. I wouldn't take both of them when my protagonist is also a divine caster - two divine casters are useful, but three is wasting a slot better used for something else. So I'd drop Jaheira.

Nalia's thieving skills are weak, but nevertheless if you collect all of the Thief-boosting gear (Ring of Danger Sense, etc., etc.) and are prepared to give her a Thief-boosting potion when necessary, then she's actually (although just barely) adequate as your sole Thief, at least until the point when you can get Imoen back.

For your second front-line warrior, both Rasaad and Mazzy are viable choices. Mazzy is pretty good thoughout, whereas Rasaad is weak in early SoA, pretty good in late SoA, and tremendous at ToB levels. The choice is a matter of personal playing style.

That'd leave you room for one more character, and you'd certainly benefit from a second arcane caster. Neera is an obvious option, but there's also the option of keeping Nalia even after you've also got Imoen back. In the latter case you could eas your thievery by temporarily including Yoshimo or Jan.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Jaheira :)
    Thank you all for the thoughts and advice. Hard decision, but I think I'll probably stick with Jaheira and eventually Imoen since they've been there with my character since the very beginning. Might regret it later, and I might be a bit light on casters, but think my party will be:

Character - Dwarven F/C
    Jaheira
    Nalia then Imoen
    Keldorn
    Rasaad
    Mazzy

Nalia uses potions to boost the thieving abilities when necessary to open a lock, which seems to be working OK. I plan to rotate in and out Keldorn, Rasaad, and Mazzy to cover other ground and stories (Rasaad is sitting while I cover Valygar and the sphere).

Tough not taking Anomen and Neera as well. Even Valygar seems a fun build, but I do think I'll enjoy the run with this selection since other characters I thought about builidng originally were paladins and monks. Adding an archer just seemed right.
    Update... so thanks to BG 1 tomes my character has 19 strength. Bought and gave Keldorn the strength belt. Just found the gloves for 18/00 strength and put them on Jaheira. May shuffle these depending on who's sitting out (Rasaad is out now to take Valygar with us), but Jaheira continues to be a great party member. I'm sure Anomen would have been too, but her 17 dex is a big help when both my character and Keldorn are lacking in that department. My guy continues to opt for a shielf for now, while Keldorn is using the dex bracers.

Can't believe I didn't play this game after BG when they originally came out. Glad that it coming out on ipad convinced me to buy it.
    edited August 2014
    Mistaken comment... Sorry.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    bjorne said:

Update... so thanks to BG 1 tomes my character has 19 strength. Bought and gave Keldorn the strength belt. Just found the gloves for 18/00 strength and put them on Jaheira. May shuffle these depending on who's sitting out (Rasaad is out now to take Valygar with us), but Jaheira continues to be a great party member. I'm sure Anomen would have been too, but her 17 dex is a big help when both my character and Keldorn are lacking in that department. My guy continues to opt for a shielf for now, while Keldorn is using the dex bracers.

Can't believe I didn't play this game after BG when they originally came out. Glad that it coming out on ipad convinced me to buy it.

Wait, you can actually take Valygar with you?
    Yes, to the planar sphere... He'll stay with you after, but I opted to get Rasaad back. He and Mazzy have some interesting dialogue if they are both with you.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    bjorne said:

Yes, to the planar sphere... He'll stay with you after, but I opted to get Rasaad back. He and Mazzy have some interesting dialogue if they are both with you.

LOL. Sorry, there should have been a "[sarcasm]" notation there. He is normally nothing more than a key to me.
    Ha. I take him with me so that he gets to fulfill that part of the storyline, but from a wasted experience point perspective I should probably do the same.