Skip to content

Sports in D&D

ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
Are there any sports in D&D? Do people have any fun? Monster summoning and killing xvarts cannot be enough for this people, right? No wonder the world is so full of monsters. I say we need a fencing arena.

Edit: forgot about the Nashkel Carnival
Post edited by Zafiro on

Comments

• Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    When you have gladiator arenas, all other sports are useless. Who cares about people moving a ball through something in a certain manner when you can see people fighting to the death?
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Who says 'Monster summoning' and 'killing Xvarts' can't be sport? :P
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    They would have the typical sports enjoyed by all medieval people. Probably jousting tournaments and the like. Or maybe Halfling\Gnome\Dwarf toss.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    There very well could be dart throwing contests if that one fellow south of Naskel is to be believed.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    Racing naked in Nashkel mines? Except the only person running is Khalid, and you're in the area with traps...
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    well gotta realize we're actually quite spoiled by modern day society. We have the games nearly year round, multiple times a week (football,baseball,basketball,soccer, and hockey are the big ones). Back then, the games would last a week or two and maybe be once a year, or once every other year, or once every 5 years.

And that was how we liked it. Lazy good for nothing whippersnappers, why i otta....*falls asleep in rocking chair and starts to snore*
  • ddubiousddubious Member Posts: 29
    Introducing the new Medieval Game Quest Adventure Kit! It has everything you need to start playing those medieval game you only dreamed about! The twelve scroll instructional manual will guide you through these level building exercises. You want to impress Drizz't next time you see him, right? Because you will, when he takes the silver medal in sword-fighting -

And you -

Take the gold.

Some fantastic games include, but aren't limited to...

Caber tossing
    Javelin tossing
    Dwarf tossing
    Arm wrestling
    Bull wrestling
    Pig wrangling
    Jousting (and jousting games)
    Horse racing
    Quarterstaffing (like American Gladiators on a balance beam)
    Tavern maid lifting (with tips from Andre the Giant)
    Peasent killing (Samurai test to see how many die in one sword swing)
    Skull bowling

Everybody loves skull bowling!

Boulder pushing (up a hill)
    Boulder hauling (up a hill)
    Boulder hauling (in chains!)
    Footrace (from dogs)
    Footrace (from Bulls)
    Footrace (from angry knights on horseback)
    Archery
    Darts
    Beer Drinking
    Piggy Back Flailing
    Small Engine Repair
    And much, much more!

For the low price of three easy payments of 19 gold, 9 copper, 9 silver, you will receive our elite instructional manual and emblazoned beat-stick signed by Brunor Battlehammer. Cast a sending spell in the next 5 minutes, and you'll receive a barrel of quarterstaves and angry knights - free! That's mortal peril and a 130 gold value - free!

Don't be a level ZERO, but a level HERO - order your Medieval Games Quest Adventure Kit today!

(Some restrictions may apply, offer not valid in Waterdeep and Quebec, shipping and handling not included.)

Call now!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    @ddubious sign me up for beer drinking
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    http://www.classickidstv.co.uk/wiki/images/5/52/Dungeons_and_Dragons_Bobby_Baseball.jpg

Baseball -- j/k

I thought of a few canon sports. There are actual rpg rules for the Maztican Ball Game. Aldo, in Old Empires, there are rules for a tournament that includes boxing, wrestling, discus throwing, running, swimming, jumping, riding archery and charioteering. I've also seen rules for arm wrestling from different sources.
  • kreywetkreywet Member Posts: 8
    I had picked up a card game called Three Dragon Ante, its a gambling card game that u can play by itself with friends or you can play it in your DnD game. It is DnD official, the only thing is it doesn't come with chips so you would have supply your own but it is fun and once you get the hang of it and iif u have plenty of people to play it can get fast paced.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Caber toss, perhaps the manliest activity, nevermind sport, in the history of forever.
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    elminster said:

There very well could be dart throwing contests if that one fellow south of Naskel is to be believed.

I read Dwarf throwing... Might be an interesting sport :)