Skip to content

Never played TotSC

happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
So ive just relived that I have never played Tales of the Sword Coast, i know very little about it actually. Is it like ToB?

Comments

• happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
    ment realized
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    No it's not it's barelly linked to the plots it's little more than a few new area dungeon and items, and I think 1 new NPC who can join your party
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Talvrae said:

No it's not it's barelly linked to the plots it's little more than a few new area dungeon and items, and I think 1 new NPC who can join your party

I'm fairly certain there are no new party joinable NPC's.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It's kind of funny how people act like expansions back in the day were of greater value than DLC in the modern industry. TotSC was two extra dungeons and a little more outdoor content on an island. That'd be a $10 DLC these days, and Bioware wanted $20 on release day if I remember right.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    I remember it wasn't very awing, it was dreary, not very pretty at all... I remember when it was released the end boss was bugged, you couldn't see him or attack him but he sure could kill you lol it didn't take long for them to patch it. But it was an abandoned castle with dungeons and a surrounding area... it was fun though!
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    That makes me feel better for missing it the first time around, but I'm looking forward to playing it now. It sounds a little like Watcher's Keep in BG2.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It actually is a lot like Watcher's Keep, except Watcher's Keep was just an added bonus to ToB. Durlag's Tower is definitely the bulk of TotSC's content.

It's kind of funny how people act like expansions back in the day were of greater value than DLC in the modern industry. TotSC was two extra dungeons and a little more outdoor content on an island. That'd be a $10 DLC these days, and Bioware wanted $20 on release day if I remember right.

You probably are right. I believe I was checking my box of age of mythology the titans (so just the expansion) and I bought that for like $25-30 at Wal-Mart back in late 2003.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    It adds very little, though said "very little" is definitely pretty fun. Not anything that makes or breaks the game, but just nice expansions.

Durlag's Tower is just awesome, I prefer it over Watcher's Keep but that's me. There are I think 4 levels of tower, and 3 levels of dungeon if you go down instead of up. Very big, great way to bring in experience, and all sorts of cool items. Some points are also extremely challenging. Then right when you think you are done with everything, you get a little surprise, I won't spoil it. But it's an awesome battle.

The Ice Island is really stupid and repetitive but it definitely had some nice atmosphere to it.

The Werewolf Island was apparently supposed to make my jaw drop with surprise plot twists, but in reality I just didn't care that much, haha! Interesting stuff though.

And of course, the new items up for sale at Ulgoth's Beard are awesomesauce.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    elminster said:

You probably are right. I believe I was checking my box of age of mythology the titans (so just the expansion) and I bought that for like $25-30 at Wal-Mart back in late 2003.

AoM: Titans added way more than a single "dungeon". It was a proper expansion.

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I hated the boss fight in TOTSC (and still do). There seems to be only one way of dealing with it, which I generally detest. I gave up after the 30th save game and decided that the reward wasn't worth it.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    mch202 said:

Durlag's Tower is the best dungeon in the series in my opinion.

Nah, you can't beat Watcher's Keep. Gambling with a cambion = epic
    Jean_Luc said:

elminster said:

AoM: Titans added way more than a single "dungeon". It was a proper expansion.

Fair enough. I'm not so much disputing that. I just don't have any other record personally on how much I spent on games. Especially games I bought ten or more years ago.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    It gives you one new town, one new dungeon, a few sidequests, higher experience cap, and makes the final fight harder. It doesn't affect the plot.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2012
    Things have been summarized fairly well here. It could be pointed out that one part (werewolf island) lets you find out a bit more about the history of Baldur's Gate and what became of its founder. On top of that you run into a certain character who reappears in BG2, and might make a bit more sense if you've already met him. So there's a certain lore value to it.

Durlag's Tower is a very well-made dungeon that really gets inside your head, and leads up to a bossfight that is likely the most difficult encounter in all of BG1 - though personally I also think Watcher's Keep is better. The ice island is really just some extra xp.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    The main attraction for ToSC is clearly Durlag's Tower, which is a pretty darned extensive and impressive dungeon crawl, and stands out among its 4 new quests. There is also an epic encounter at the very end (don't want to spoil the OP) that is great. ToSC introduced some higher level spells and more powerful gear. It raised the XP cap and added item stacking. It was certainly well worth the $20 at the time, if that's what it cost. It adds about 20-30 hours of gameplay.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

Don't forget modern DLC is simply electronic download so has minimal overheads. Back then there would have been a hefty cost associated with the printing of the manual, burning of the disc, boxing, packaging and transportation of the product.

Also at least it was actually a true expansion of the original game. These days so much DLC is made up of gameplay elements which really should have been in the initial game but gets chopped out to provide a source of DLC income.