Skip to content

What is your least favorite monster in Faerun?

My least favorite: Vampires. Most. Annoying. Monster. Ever. Plus, they disappearing-icon-kill you half the time. My other least favorites, though none come even close to the vampires: Doppelgangers, Ettercaps, Spiders.
CaloNordbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    The life sucking, soul stealing creature of the night..... that lives at home. :(
    MacHurtobooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    trolls
    why can't they just die properly
    CaloNordbooinyoureyesAristilliusJuliusBorisov
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Beholders.

They shoot so many rays that destroy your party unless you have the special shield.
    CaloNordbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Trolls because you have to micro-manage.
    booinyoureyesenqenqJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CrevsDaak said:

Mephits. because they are fucking silly and can't be as smart and cute as their adorable Quasit cousins.

That, and vampires. Djinn(or whatever it is) are alsovery annoying because the come one at a time, and I have to use up a whole remove magic to take down their fireshield before I can pound the to death.

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Vampires are the worst, I also hate wizards that cast Maze on my stupid characters
    CaloNordBlackravenMacHurtoJuliusBorisov
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Mmm I'm going to have to roll with Vampires. As a primarily spell casting player I find level drain SO god damn annoying. That and Umber Hulks... watch my party wander aimlessly around the immediate area... oh looook Minsc just stabbed me! YAY!
    JuliusBorisovabazigal5
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I would agree that the having to re-select your spells after recovering from level drain is kind of a design flaw. At minimum, they could grey out the spells and keep them. But neeewwww.

Other than that, vamps are kind of cool, so long as they don't sparkle in the sun and aren't all teen anksty.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Beholder's are the ones that annoy me so much. Either I'm out cheesing them (by using the shield, which magically protects against everything and has no drawbacks), or they're cheesing me (it's nearly impossible to protect against all the things a beholder can throw at you without the first protection spells fading). So in the end, I don't enter their lair in the Underdark, pretend the Unseeing Eye is the only beholder around and go to his lair very early so he actually is, and I make faces when we have to kill one for the drow. If it pops up any other way, I CTRL+Y it and don't touch it's loot.

Vampires are a close second, simply due to level drain and the spellbook situation. You can kill them easily, but almost everytime it requires resetting up the spellbooks. Grr.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Worst monster is most definitely Saemon Havarion reasons being he taunts you, betrays you, and then wears plot armor while sentencing my kind and happy go lucky mass murdering self to multiple death traps and even trying to ambush me.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Mindflayers.

Saerilith.

I'll raise you one Chloe!
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Illithids.

I hate Vamps' level drain too, but the flayers have caused me the most headaches of any species... Took me forever to work out a good strategy.
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    I haven't finished bg2 soa yet but the creature I hate most is the demi-lich. At least I think that is the creature all I know it shoots out timestop and always seems to throw Imprisonment on charname
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Demiliches. Basically, fighting them is like "either you can't do anything to them, or they can't do anything to you". They are cheap, require cheap tactics to defeat them and the fight itself is far from fun. Good that there is about 2 demiliches in the entire game.
    SionIVJuliusBorisovDemonoid_Limewire
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Kobolds in BG1, mephits in BG2. Irritating little bastards, and there are hundreds of them.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    You know the vampires in the Windspear Hills dungeon? Well, I can't get past those. I have before, in my first SoA party (this is my second). I've tried that at least four times, if not more, and there are so many of them, and they move so fast. Though it is kind of fun seeing a vampire getting thrown back about twenty feet by Repulse Undead.
    I've been thinking of just outright storming the place where they hide out, but that would be suicide, wouldn't it?

Ah,I just remembered: Turn Undead.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    abazigal5 said:

You know the vampires in the Windspear Hills dungeon? Well, I can't get past those. I have before, in my first SoA party (this is my second). I've tried that at least four times, if not more, and there are so many of them, and they move so fast. Though it is kind of fun seeing a vampire getting thrown back about twenty feet by Repulse Undead.
    I've been thinking of just outright storming the place where they hide out, but that would be suicide, wouldn't it?

Ah,I just remembered: Turn Undead.

You'll need to have your cleric at around level 15/16 before their turn undead will kill those vampires.
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    I'm a level 26 cleric (yes, I imported from Black Pits 2).
    Does getting hit interrupt Turn Undead like it does with spellcasting?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited May 2014
    abazigal5 said:

I'm a level 26 cleric (yes, I imported from Black Pits 2).
    Does getting hit interrupt Turn Undead like it does with spellcasting?

No. But if you attack someone it'll break turn undead, can't do both. Certain NPC's have scripts that will have them defend themselves if attacked, this makes turning undead problematic unless you turn the script off.
    JuliusBorisov
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Lv26 cleric? Cannot you just use sanctuary and watch the popcorn start?
    meaglothCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    The skeleton packs in 1. Going there before getting 1+2 level ups to all party members, can get you dead instantly. And those idiotic basilisks, if they petrify your main by accident, it's a game over (no chance for other party member to use spell or scroll on you).
    JuliusBorisov
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Lightning is my least favorite monster. Percentage based damage that just so happens to strike at the least convenient of times. Being struck by lightening is supposed to be extremely rare, not 4-5 times every playthrough.
    SionIVJuliusBorisov
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

Lightning is my least favorite monster. Percentage based damage that just so happens to strike at the least convenient of times. Being struck by lightening is supposed to be extremely rare, not 4-5 times every playthrough.

I agree.

Sometimes it can strike several times in one battle, have had it kill many of my NPC's and even some enemies. In my game of BGEE it strikes for 50% of your health, so if you got 50% or less you'll end up dead. Garrick in my 'bad npc playthrough' got killed 3 times by lightning.
    FinaLfront
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Hobgoblins >:( Evil, stupid, poison arrows and they are ALL OVER THE PLACE.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    In BG1 probably anything with elemental arrows. In BG2 Illithids. I dislike all of the monsters that try to push you into out-cheesing their cheese, and on top of that, they don't make sense. I'm unstunned, have a stoneskin and a fireshield up, how do these annoying things eat my brains when they can't even touch me. >:(