Skip to content

Lawful Evil Deities.

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
So I've been looking through different sites online at the different evil deities, and I've been noticing something. There is no god out there for Lawful Evil people that focus on selfishness, power, greed, manipulation without having them either being chaotic, murderers or enjoy torturing children.

Whom would an evil merchant or leader pray to? Who would Kagain pray to? Most of the deities I've been looking at are either out of this world cruel (torture, mass murder) or require you to sacrifice people. No clever lawful evil person would get caught doing either of those.

So looking at some of the human deities that are lawful evil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[BANE]

Banite customs were often quite spartan in nature and the god's followers celebrated no holidays in honor of their god, instead showing their gratitude to him through service and the ritual torture and sacrifice of sentient beings offensive to the god.

Rites include drumming, chanting, and the sacrifice of intelligent beings, usually upon an altar of blck basalt or obsidian. Of late, clerics of Cyric have become a preferred sacrifice, though old favorites such as paladins, unicorns, children, and celestials remain popular with traditionalists. <- At least it sounds fun...

Bane orders his clerics and followers to achieve positions of power within their society, either through force or trickery, and to use that power to further the cause of hate, fear, destruction, and strife. <- Why would i want to cause fear, destruction or strife?

Torture, beatings, and calculated assassinations frequently come into play in such operations, and rare indeed is the initiate of the Lord of Darkness who does not possess at least rudimentary skill in such enterprises. <- My fat little merchant or skinny noble are not going to be proficient in torture or assassinations...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[GARGAUTH]

This one might be interesting and an option, but he just seems so over the top. Doesn't help that he was thrown out of the Nine Hells because of his foul nature. If he's so foul and corrupt that they don't even want him down there, i wouldn't dare to become a cleric of his.

He embodied the inevitable decay and corruption that accompanied all self-serving, greedy, and power-hungry leaders and groups. <- No thank you?

The Unveiling
This occurred each Midwinter night. This horrific ceremony, believed to involve many gruesome sacrifices, heralded the imminent time when Gargauth would seize Faerûn as his unholy kingdom and transport it to Baator to form the Tenth Pit of Hell. <- I like my little shop and money, don't want to end up in Baator selling magical items.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IYACHTU XVIM]

Xvimlar exult in destruction and in oppressing others and enjoy casually dealing pain. Kicking folk they pass, slamming doors on people, and hurling stones down busy streets at random are not uncommon acts for Xvimlar. <- That's not going to cause attention and have the guard upon me.

Xvim delights in death and destruction, and encourages his devoted to emulate him. In Xvim’s dark, twisted mind, nothing worthy is accomplished without the destruction of something else. <- I prefer to keep my shop or noble house intact without causing destruction, thank you very much.

Those who would follow Xvim must be as committed to destruction, oppression, and cruelty as he is. <- What is up with this destruction? Are we followers of Talos or something? Oppression and cruelty i can understand, destruction? No thank you.

Novice Xvimlar are charged as follows by senior clergy members: .Obey or die in pain and utter destruction. Enslave or slay the weak, and be sure that they know their suffering is in Xvim’s name and by his will. Cause pain and fearful obedience in others whenever prudent <- I'm just a greedy power hungry person, what's up with all this pain and destruction? If i slay the beggar outside i'm going to end up having a guard on my arse.

There is a delight in destruction.feel it, and indulge in it.. <- Uhmm... Yea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[LOVIATAR]

I'm not a sadist and into torturing people, no thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just looking through different sites and books to get this information, take it with a grain of salt. The problem i have with this is that you can't be evil without going over the top, at least not when it comes to lawful evil.

I would like to know if there is any lawful evil deities that aren't over the top with human sacrifices and destruction? If i destroy the world around me i can't benefit from it and gain money or power. I have no want to sacrifice any mortal beings and if i got caught doing something like that it would be over. I'm pretty sure you won't find any of the council of five members sacrificing sentient creatures in their backyard.

So, what is there left to do?

Thank you for reading my wall of text!

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I just wish that humans had someone like Abbathor. It annoys me that i can't play a Lawful Evil Cleric without having to go over the top with sacrifices and stuff. I didn't want to do Kossuth because it just wouldn't fit me with the whole fire part.

Looking at Lawful Neutral it would either be Kelemvor or Jergal. But both are focused on death and not greed, selfishness and searching for power. Both of them are actually against manipulative behavior.

Hoar was another god i was looking at but the whole vengeful part doesn't really fit in very well with LAWFUL evil in my opinion.
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Hmm. I doubt Banite clerics actually wander around sacrificing people in regions where that would be a Bad Idea. Be an enemy of the faith in an area where it's powerful and you're going to lose your head, but there are apparently LN Banite clerics out there, and I can't see anyone who has to commit ritual sacrifice once a week staying LN too long. (Bane's dead atm, though, so he may not be a great option for any number of reasons.)

I think Waukeen can have clerics of any alignment in 2e, so a LE Waukeenar might be exactly what you're looking for. Greedy black market schemer, probably takes contracts super seriously, etc.

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    ...what, exactly, does one do to get kicked ot of the nine hells???? and where do you get kicked to?
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    SionIV said:

I just wish that humans had someone like Abbathor. It annoys me that i can't play a Lawful Evil Cleric without having to go over the top with sacrifices and stuff. I didn't want to do Kossuth because it just wouldn't fit me with the whole fire part.

Looking at Lawful Neutral it would either be Kelemvor or Jergal. But both are focused on death and not greed, selfishness and searching for power. Both of them are actually against manipulative behavior.

Hoar was another god i was looking at but the whole vengeful part doesn't really fit in very well with LAWFUL evil in my opinion.

And now you've lost me. What about vengeance makes it a good character-only behavior?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Set from the Mulhorandi pantheons is also Lawful Evil. While a bit on the exotic site, the gods of Mulhorand are mostly human-only deities and should fit the criterias.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited May 2014

SionIV said:

So I've been looking through different sites online at the different evil deities, and I've been noticing something. There is no god out there for Lawful Evil people that focus on selfishness, power, greed, manipulation without having them either being chaotic, murderers or enjoy torturing children.

Whom would an evil merchant or leader pray to? Who would Kagain pray to? Most of the deities I've been looking at are either out of this world cruel (torture, mass murder) or require you to sacrifice people. No clever lawful evil person would get caught doing either of those.

So looking at some of the human deities that are lawful evil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[BANE]

Banite customs were often quite spartan in nature and the god's followers celebrated no holidays in honor of their god, instead showing their gratitude to him through service and the ritual torture and sacrifice of sentient beings offensive to the god.

Rites include drumming, chanting, and the sacrifice of intelligent beings, usually upon an altar of blck basalt or obsidian. Of late, clerics of Cyric have become a preferred sacrifice, though old favorites such as paladins, unicorns, children, and celestials remain popular with traditionalists. <- At least it sounds fun...

Bane orders his clerics and followers to achieve positions of power within their society, either through force or trickery, and to use that power to further the cause of hate, fear, destruction, and strife. <- Why would i want to cause fear, destruction or strife?

Torture, beatings, and calculated assassinations frequently come into play in such operations, and rare indeed is the initiate of the Lord of Darkness who does not possess at least rudimentary skill in such enterprises. <- My fat little merchant or skinny noble are not going to be proficient in torture or assassinations...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[GARGAUTH]

This one might be interesting and an option, but he just seems so over the top. Doesn't help that he was thrown out of the Nine Hells because of his foul nature. If he's so foul and corrupt that they don't even want him down there, i wouldn't dare to become a cleric of his.

He embodied the inevitable decay and corruption that accompanied all self-serving, greedy, and power-hungry leaders and groups. <- No thank you?

The Unveiling
    This occurred each Midwinter night. This horrific ceremony, believed to involve many gruesome sacrifices, heralded the imminent time when Gargauth would seize Faerûn as his unholy kingdom and transport it to Baator to form the Tenth Pit of Hell. <- I like my little shop and money, don't want to end up in Baator selling magical items.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IYACHTU XVIM]

Xvimlar exult in destruction and in oppressing others and enjoy casually dealing pain. Kicking folk they pass, slamming doors on people, and hurling stones down busy streets at random are not uncommon acts for Xvimlar. <- That's not going to cause attention and have the guard upon me.

Xvim delights in death and destruction, and encourages his devoted to emulate him. In Xvim’s dark, twisted mind, nothing worthy is accomplished without the destruction of something else. <- I prefer to keep my shop or noble house intact without causing destruction, thank you very much.

Those who would follow Xvim must be as committed to destruction, oppression, and cruelty as he is. <- What is up with this destruction? Are we followers of Talos or something? Oppression and cruelty i can understand, destruction? No thank you.

Novice Xvimlar are charged as follows by senior clergy members: .Obey or die in pain and utter destruction. Enslave or slay the weak, and be sure that they know their suffering is in Xvim’s name and by his will. Cause pain and fearful obedience in others whenever prudent <- I'm just a greedy power hungry person, what's up with all this pain and destruction? If i slay the beggar outside i'm going to end up having a guard on my arse.

There is a delight in destruction.feel it, and indulge in it.. <- Uhmm... Yea.

[LOVIATAR]

I'm not a sadist and into torturing people, no thank you.

I'm just looking through different sites and books to get this information, take it with a grain of salt. The problem i have with this is that you can't be evil without going over the top, at least not when it comes to lawful evil.

I would like to know if there is any lawful evil deities that aren't over the top with human sacrifices and destruction? If i destroy the world around me i can't benefit from it and gain money or power. I have no want to sacrifice any mortal beings and if i got caught doing something like that it would be over. I'm pretty sure you won't find any of the council of five members sacrificing sentient creatures in their backyard.

So, what is there left to do?

Thank you for reading my wall of text!</p>

I can see Kagain definitely worshipping Abbathor whereas an evil leader, depending on the time, either Bane or Xvim, a merchant is a tricky one, logically it would be Waukeen but she isn't evil, maybe Mask, yes he's the God of Thieves, but it isn't illogical for an evil merchant to steal things and sell them at a price, e.g. a fence.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Interesting topic. Does the evil merchant know he's evil though? That particular archetype makes me think, a hypocrite, paying lip service to a good or neutral god to look more respectable, rather than proactively seeking out evil deities.
    edited May 2014
    I've also been curious how the whole peasant with the water bowl quest work. They are followers of Talos having problem with and killing a priest of Umberlee. Umberlee is allied with Talos and working under him, so how would there ever be a situation where these would end up plotting to kill each other?

It's like having someone that follow the Red Knight plotting to kill a follower of Tempus.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited May 2014
    @SionIV - People aren't their gods, and even if they were, Talos and Umberlee are, if I recall correctly, allied more because of mythic reasons (they both embody different aspects of natural destruction) than because if their love for and loyalty to each other. So yeah, there are a bunch if reasons they could have, from personal reasons to professional rivalry, but if I'm not mistaken their reasons for killing Tengla's mother was to steal that waterbowl thingamajjig, and their reason for wanting to kill Tengla was to just stop her from invoking Umberlee's vengeance upon them.

I never knew they were Talosians, though. Where do they mention this?

Edit: Lastly, about your edit - That would be completely different, as Red Knight is a subordinate to Tempus both mythically (RK's portfolio is just a part of Tempos') and in the divine hierarchy. They also aren't Evil, and one of the trademarks of Evil is that they're unable to work together without jealous, competition, and plotting against each other.
    edited May 2014
    The Deities of Fury were a group of chaotic and destructive deities led by Talos. The group also included Auril, Malar and Umberlee.

"Talos was close with Auril, had a flirtatious rivalry with Umberlee and a grudging alliance with Malar, who would kill him if he could."

If you force them to give you the bowl they will mention that you're doing a grave mistake and going against Talos. They kill her mother out of 'greed' because they felt that the prices were too high and once they got the bowl they could control the water and get even more money. Both the peasant and the daughter have two different stories, but if you end up taking the daughters side they end up 'admitting' that what she said is true.

[Edited] : I don't know if flirtatious rivalry means that their followers are killing each other.
    edited May 2014
    When i'm reading through the evil gods (Lawful, Neutral, Chaotic) it just seems that with the exception of Mask they are all trying to cause pain, strife, destruction or chaos. And it's pretty clear that the followers of mask are mostly rogues and assassins, not 'normal' people.

No evil god that focuses on manipulation, greed and power without causing physical pain and destruction to the people around them.

And I've been thinking about playing a Lawful Evil Cleric, just can't find a deity to follow. Is it ever mentioned if Xzar follows Cyric or Bane?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2014
    Bane was killed by Cyric in 1358 DR. He is resurrected in 1372 but that is after BG1 (1368). I think he probably still had worshipers but he is a dead god during the BG saga.

Tiamat is LE. The Cult of the Dragon worships him, and has clerics. A couple references from the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tiamat

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_the_Dragon

One reason Tiamat might work well is dragons love treasure, and hoard it. They're vain, super intelligent, and calculating. So those sorts of draconian traits might appeal to one who lives for the acquisition of wealth.
    I don't recall any mention of Xzar following a deity. Velsharoon is popular among Necromancers, though.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Velsharoon
    edited May 2014
    Lemernis said:

I don't recall any mention of Xzar following a deity. Velsharoon is popular among Necromancers, though.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Velsharoon

I was just wondering with the whole Zhentarim part, at this point they would be following Cyric, no? Xvim hasn't appeared yet?
    edited May 2014
    It's been a while since I looked at all of this, but per the Forgotten Realms wiki:

Xvim breaks free from his imprisonment beneath Zhentil Keep in Ches (= March) 1369. He does have acolytes since Bane's death during the Time of Troubles (1358). But throughout the Realms Xvim is largely regarded a minor god, paling in comparison to his father. Many Banites convert to Cyric. And Cyric has taken control of the Zhentarim during the time of the BG series. I presume it is Cyric who ordered that Xvim be imprisoned.
    I'm not sure how it was in 2nd Ed, but at least in 3rd Ed Clerics could be aligned a step either horizontally or vertically from the alignment of their patron deity. So you could have both Neutral Good and Neutral Evil Clerics of Waukeen, for example. Obviously two clerics like that would be quite different in their approach to the dogma of Waukeen. As such, you might want to look into the Lawful Neutral deities and think of how you could play a cleric of them with an evil twist.
    SionIV said:

The Deities of Fury were a group of chaotic and destructive deities led by Talos. The group also included Auril, Malar and Umberlee.

"Talos was close with Auril, had a flirtatious rivalry with Umberlee and a grudging alliance with Malar, who would kill him if he could."

If you force them to give you the bowl they will mention that you're doing a grave mistake and going against Talos. They kill her mother out of 'greed' because they felt that the prices were too high and once they got the bowl they could control the water and get even more money. Both the peasant and the daughter have two different stories, but if you end up taking the daughters side they end up 'admitting' that what she said is true.

[Edited] : I don't know if flirtatious rivalry means that their followers are killing each other.

Ah, I was under the impression they all shared "grudging alliance" statuses (And thanks for the reminder about their Talos connection, I remember thag part now). Anyway, "flirtatious rivalry" refers to the gods themselves, not their followers. There is no reason Talos worshippers wouldn't attack Umberlee clergy if they thought it was a good idea. They're not mind-slaves to their patron deity.

edited May 2014
    Lemernis said:

It's been a while since I looked at all of this, but per the Forgotten Realms wiki:

Xvim breaks free from his imprisonment beneath Zhentil Keep in Ches (= March) 1369. He does have acolytes since Bane's death during the Time of Troubles (1358). But throughout the Realms Xvim is largely regarded a minor god, paling in comparison to his father. Many Banites convert to Cyric. And Cyric takes control of the Zhentarim during the time of the BG series. I presume it is Cyric who ordered that Xvim be imprisoned.

So if Xzar were to become a cleric (with the wisdom tome) it would most probably be Cyric that he would start praying to for his spells?
    edited May 2014
    Btw, it is common in the Forgotten Realms for most people to be pantheists. Most folks worship a wide variety of gods, e.g., most anyone would likely offer a prayer to Umberlee when making a sea voyage, etc. Cyric has no allies among the pantheon. I'm sure Cyric must demand total allegiance. But that doesn't mean that many of his followers won't also risk secret worship (at least in prayer) of other gods.
    Would it be possible or likely for a human to worship a deity of another race?
    SionIV said:

Bahamut the God of Good Dragons had humanoid followers who eventually took on Draconic traits to show devotion to him.

But would a human ever worship a halfling/dwarf/gnome deity? Aerie does this in BG2 but that's based on Quayle teaching her. What about a half-elf and the elf deities?
    Lemernis said:

Btw, it is common in the Forgotten Realms for most people to be pantheists. Most folks worship a wide variety of gods, e.g., most anyone would likely offer a prayer to Umberlee when making a sea voyage, etc. Cyric has no allies among the pantheon. I'm sure Cyric must demand total allegiance. But that doesn't mean that many of his followers won't also risk secret worship (at least in prayer) of other gods.

While this is true, it's also demanded that people choose one god to identify themselves with above all others, or bad things await them in the afterlife. So while a farmer would likely give offerings to Malaria to keep wolves away from his livestock and pray to Tempus when his son is levied off to war, he would still (probably) count himself as a follower of Chauntea first and foremost.
    SionIV said:

Possible, certainly, but very unlikely. Then again, protagonists then to be special in many ways ;)
    edited May 2014
    Also when it comes to Bassilus would he be a follower of Cyric? He comes from Zhentil keep, so it's either that or Bane/Xvim, no?
    SionIV said:

But would a human ever worship a halfling/dwarf/gnome deity? Aerie does this in BG2 but that's based on Quayle teaching her. What about a half-elf and the elf deities?

I think if a Half-Elf is raised by Elves, he/she worships the Seldarine, but if raised by Humans, he/she worships the Faerunian Pantheon
    edited May 2014
    SionIV said:

Also when it comes to Bassilus would he be a follower of Cyric? He comes from Zhentil keep, so it's either that or Bane/Xvim, no?

I would think that for a Zhent circa 1368-72, i.e., during the BG saga, worship of either Bane or Xvim would only take place very secretly and at extremely high risk. Cyric and his followers would never tolerate it. Cyric slew Bane, took most of his portfolio, and imprisoned his son.
    Lemernis said:

SionIV said:

I would think that for a Zhent, worship of either Bane or Xvim would only take place very secretly and at extremely high risk circa 1368-72, i.e., during the BG saga. Cyric and his followers would never tolerate it.
    Wouldn't it be very ironic for CHARNAME to be a cleric of Bane? With the divine essence of Bhaal and the entire meeting with Cyric?
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    SionIV said:

Lemernis said:

SionIV said:

I would think that for a Zhent, worship of either Bane or Xvim would only take place very secretly and at extremely high risk circa 1368-72, i.e., during the BG saga. Cyric and his followers would never tolerate it.
    Wouldn't it be very ironic for CHARNAME to be a cleric of Bane? With the divine essence of Bhaal and the entire meeting with Cyric?
    I think it'd be more ironic if CHARNAME was a follower of Cyric...you know, the guy who KILLED Bhaal.

Anyway, as to your merchant thing: Waukeen is, I agree, the most likely candidate. I seem to recall that clerics of Bane were supposed to be manipulative as well as destructive, so that would be a point in his favor as well.

• TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    SionIV said:

There are no clerics of Bane at CHARNAME's time. Only clerics of Xvim and Cyric, due to the Bane being deader then dead. (He'll get over it.) CHARNAME being a cleric of Xvim would be pretty weird, though. Being a Cleric of Cyric would be even odder. Especially meeting your God and having him send assassins after you. I was going to say that might cause a crisis of faith, but then realized that with Cyric, having your own god send Assassins after you is probably not that unusual of an experience. Crazy Cyric.

I don't know, I tend to make my lawful evil priests clerics of Kossuth, because I think he's a fun god. Worshiping purity (of fire) as an evil character is an interesting choice.
    edited May 2014
    As it doesn't make sense to make a cleric of Bane and i'm not interested in Xvim, I've came up with another option.

The Red Knight. I'm just not sure if i'll run with Lawful Evil or Lawful Neutral and then just accept evil NPC's into my party. The whole strategy/chess view is quite pleasing, learning to take all details into consideration and finding out peoples weakness and strengths.

It would also make sense from a gameplay perspective as i'll be behind my group (no-reload), giving out orders and shutting down the enemies with my spells (Hold, Silence 10 radius, etc).

I'm quite enjoying the BGEEKit pack (at least the cleric part) and i'm curious what abilities i should be giving a cleric of the Red Knight? If we look at Tempus :

- Gains domain spells relevant to the portfolio of the deity:
    - 1st Level: Armor
    - 4th Level: Draw Upon Holy Might
    - 7th Level: Enchanted Weapon
    - 10th Level: Righteous Magic
    - 13th Level: Tenser's Transformation

What should i get for my Cleric of the Red Knight? I've got this from a page on the internet :

At 3rd level, holy strategists can cast clairaudience or clairvoyance (as the 3rd-level wizard spells) once per day.
    At 5th level, holy strategists can cast divination (as the 4th-level priest spell) once per day.
    At 7th level, holy strategists can make three melee attacks every two rounds.
    At 7th level, holy strategists can cast consequence (as the 5th-level priest spell) once per day.
    At 9th level, holy strategists can cast hallucinatory terrain (as the 4th-level wizard spell) or mass invisibility (as the 7th-level wizard spell) once per day.
    At 10th level, holy strategists can cast wizard spells on scrolls from the schools of lesser or greater divination as a mage of the same level. They are automatically able to read such spells and only such spells.
    At 13th level, holy strategists can make two melee attacks per round.
    At 13th level, holy strategists can call for a war horse, similar to the fashion in which a paladin does. This animal need not be a horse, but it is always a steed of exceptional intelligence for its species and possessing maximum hit points. The holy strategist must find this animal in a memorable way, most often by a specific quest. Holy strategists have bonded not only with war horses, but pegasi, griffons, hippogriffs, wild tigers, and buffaloes.

But the only spell that is in Baldur's Gate would be Clairvoyance.

- 1st Level : ??
    - 4th Level : Clairvoyance
    - 7th Level : ??
    - 10th Level : ??
    - 13th Level : Set APR to 2