Skip to content

Firkraag with my Dwarven F/C (Spoiler Alert)

Playing BG2 for the first time and really enjoying it (although I played BG1 when it first came out). Playing on Ipad, staying somewhat spoiler free (sometimes I see things here), and using the same Dwarven F/C I had in BG1 who made the mistake of not taking flails or dual wield at all (focusing on maces, sword and shield, and hammers). Despit also having no dex and giving the dex gauntlets to Keldorn, I'm really enjoying the game and the character a lot. I keep Keldorn and Rasaad since my other character choices were a monk or a paladin. I've gotten a few tips on here spoiler free, which I appreciate. I'm in Chapter 2 still and doing everything I can before advancing the main story. Last on the list was Windspear Hills...

Party is now my guy, Keldorn, Rasaad, Jaheira, Neera, and Nalia (decided with difficulty to swap Mazzy for Neera). I previously saw the Shadow Dragon and passed him by after one quick try and wipe. Going through Firkraag's dungeon they give you plenty of hints that there's a red dragon coming eventually, and having done pen and paper D & D back when this game is from I figured Firkraag might be he. After facing Tazok (could have sworn I chunked him into very small bits in BG1?), I knew Firkraag was right around the corner. Might be cheesy, but I then went to the werewolves office, shut the door, and strategized my spells, weapons, and fire resistance gear, then rested.

Really micromanaged the battle. Figured if Firkraag was going to be so arrogant as to let me call a couple of undead and then a few invisible stalkers to start, who was I to argue. Before he dispelled my haste and many of my buffs (grrr...) I was able to put my dwarf on one side of him to the rear, keldorn on another side of him, Rasaad in his own little area chucking +5 darts I've been gathering from a cloak, and then Neera, Nalia and Jaheira fanned out in front of him with invisible stalkers and skeletons forming a weak wall in front of them and casting debuffs and then damage spells. Firkraag of course moved my players on the battle field around a bit, and it was hairy at times with a couple of almost-deaths, but was a very fun battle. In the end I was surprised that I actually took him down with the combination of a bit of damage from weapons plus the eventual spell damage. I have to say that my little dwarf and his melee with the dwarven thrower attracted a fair amount of attention, and I was very grateful for his good saving throws.

Still can't believe that I didn't play this great game back in the day. If I remember correctly, I even played a dark sun one after BG1, which wasn't nearly this good.

Now I have a paladin with a holy sword, and a monk who seems to finally be coming into his own a bit. Might have to turn the difficulty up... Might also have to see that shadow dragon again in the near future.

P.S. - My wife hates videogames, so I have to share my excitement over crushing the dragon here.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Well done, @bjorne. However, what you did is actually a fairly orthodox strategy for taking down Firkraag, so I'm not surprised that it worked. Fairly similar tactics will also win against the Shadow Dragon, except that you need to beware of level drain rather than fire damage.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Is there anything better than reading about someone's first exploits through a BG game?

I think not.

Well done @bjorne‌ !