Skip to content

is anyone here involved in art/music/etc in any way?

simplessimples Member Posts: 540
just curious and if so what do you do?

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i play(ed) in bands and make lino's too, i'm sure you're great at what you do, if you enjoy it, keep doing it. life has taught me that being creative is the only skill you really need
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    simples said:

life has taught me that being creative is the only skill you really need

Hehe, I tried that. It isn't true.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I write (both codes and literature), but nothing else ATM.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    I like art. But i have mostly master "Deidara's" opinions, approach, and admiration on it...
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Im a guitarist in a band. We play post-rock :-)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I also read hamlet aloud in English class. I was hamlet. @jackjack, Is that acting? :P
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I write (mostly fantasy) stories. Poetry sometimes too. Nothing published though...yet! ;)

Aside from that, I also draw and (try) to play piano... I'm a better singer. Even as someone who can type 70 wpm when she tries, it's really hard to get both hands to cooperate on a piano. You know. At the same time. :/

Kinda wish I'd gotten more involved in acting, but I was just too darn shy. I'd love to do voice-acting if I had the chance.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    meagloth said:

I also read hamlet aloud in English class. I was hamlet. @jackjack, Is that acting? :P

More of a stage reading, but I do those too.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Have a deviantart account, make rather uninpressive things there. I'm a hobbist, if anyone is interested.

@Demonoid_Limewire‌ Are you serious? Deidara's? He's as artistic as Osama Bin Laden.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    God said:

I write a lot, often draw or sculpt and do a heck of a lot of other things. Though, in a way, it's my job.

So how drunk WERE YOU when you decided that's it a great idea to rip one of Adam's rib out and sculpt a chick out of it huh?
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited June 2014
    I dont know if it is art and i never thought that what "established" people considers as art is real art to me... but i do low poly 3d environments and i just love to create models for NWN. I do this game modding thing since... long story! So i do 3d design, texture work, ingame effects and what not all and writing storys...simple and complex ones!

In games i see art only when you feel the passion behind it. If it has no essence of passion, uniqueness, atmosphere and fresh breath it is no art to me... just mainstream entertainment fast food or the work of people who wants to have many downloads or nice comments....

Not that the designers are at fault mostly for their dull and uninspiring work (i dont call it art) but I would say 1 game out of 10 has some magic and the rest is just up-to-date stuff that is recycled so many times already that it stinks like an old sock from within covered in a hypnotizing perfume!

When you know the history of game entertainment you have a much better picture on how things have developed and were the "loop" continues endlessly just with a "new" fancy face ;)

So i would say that ART is something you feel and you express it with the skillz you are blessed with. Naturally or you have developed over the years. But art is definately something that sucks you in once you are connected to it and its like a positive addiction!

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @NWN_babaYaga‌
    To me, art is anything one creates while fueled by passion.
    @NWN_babaYaga‌ There is no "are blessed with". Art is 50% practice, 50% sum of usefull traits that are stimulating your growth, aka "talent".

Also, art is a very subjective term.
    edited June 2014

@NWN_babaYaga‌ There is no "are blessed with". Art is 50% practice, 50% sum of usefull traits that are stimulating your growth, aka "talent".

Also, art is a very subjective term.

I dont want to argue with you but i tell you from my own experience that i meet people who could draw phenomenal images as kids where 99% of the rest of the class couldnt even draw a natural circle (and shadows were horrible to look at...). This girl didnt grew up with a pencil in her hand, she just could draw what she was told to even better as our teacher! So there are talented people who dont need anything other then their mind. No books no advices nothing. Just a pencil and an image!

@NWN_babaYaga‌ There are exceptions to every rule, true. There are also people, whose talents cannot be explained, true (savants are the example).

And about these "gifted" people, for a time, they skills are so great that they don't need to practice, and that pretty much is their downfall. They don't try to search new ways to improve, they never try to understand what they do... This rare phenomena known as "gift" is a double-edged sword.

Anyway, I'm almost felt insulted, when someone tells me that art is a gift. By that, you're telling me that whatever I do is useless, and I won't accept that. Like, ever.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Fredjo said:

God said:

I write a lot, often draw or sculpt and do a heck of a lot of other things. Though, in a way, it's my job.

So how drunk WERE YOU when you decided that's it a great idea to rip one of Adam's rib out and sculpt a chick out of it huh?
    Considerably indeed. We had a nice little party with the Goddess before we got to work. You know, alcohol was there WAAAY before we had any sentient life planned.
    However, you should rather ask how intoxicated was the original author of the words you refer to. 'Cause he (surely it had to be a he) must have pretty damn drunk as well. He skipped a lot of interesting (and important) stuff going on. And even more content was dropped when the scripture was being abridged over the ages, since obviously no one cared that much about creation stories.
    It is true that man was created from the essence of earth brought into motion by the laws of life. Though, as is still the common belief amongst some African tribes, before man really became man, he had been a lizard and only after having soaked in the water for an extended period of time did he emerge (and even then, still not in the form known to you). Not to mention that there have been other things emerging, not just the man; but these are unimportant. Then the image of gods was put on man, which the Inca explained as the clothes he wears, the language he speaks, the songs he sings and the seeds he sows, and which modern psychology cannot quite explain but at recognizes as a feature distinguishing humankind from other species. But all these matters are very complicated and I do not wish to strain your brain any further. Trust me, I know the durability of your hardware.
    edited June 2014

Anyway, I'm almost felt insulted, when someone tells me that art is a gift. By that, you're telling me that whatever I do is useless, and I won't accept that. Like, ever.

Not sure what your problem is buddy! If you feel that way you should start to love your work (to love the way that you work) and stop being fanatical about your own failures ;) I know that people who are fanatical about the succes of their work if it is the feedback from others or by the comparison of others they fail to relax with their passion. A healthy Passion without a bad ego is the motor of art! You dont need anyone else as yourself to know that you do art or not. If you depend on external things you are clearly not an artist!

... and maybe it is the active "pineal gland" too... you know?
    edited June 2014

Not sure what your problem is buddy! If you feel that way you should start to love your work (to love the way that you work) and stop being fanatical about your own failures ;)

It's kinda cute that you assumed I am fanatical about my own failures. I happened to feel that way some time ago, but I grew out of it :).

I don't understand your last statement, but maybe it's for the best.

EDIT: my "Engurish"
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    I listen to a lot of Iron Maiden :)

I play guitar like a four year old, only learning my "favorite parts" of my favorite songs (except when they are too hard). I am a huge film buff and would have loved to have studied it more when I was at school, but now I just enjoy lots of movies. I also write lots of sappy poems for my laaayydeee every birthday and Valentines. I read religiously (both books and comics).

When it comes to art I don't really create much but I consume more than my fair share, that's for sure.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I doodled as a kid, gradually evolved into the slowest sketcher ever. Its detailed, but truly bad art. Also, I cant do hands. Or faces that dont look Egyptian in profile. Sooo.... I tried music!

Did 6 or 7 years piano. Got to ~grade 2, maybe 3. Obviously was not working. Played Trombone, my brother was a virtuoso, I should be decent? ##$€ no! Sounded okay, but way too uncoordinated. Sooo... I tried writing!

This went better, which isnt saying much. I managed to write too stiltedly for mass appeal, yet too coarse and curt for academia. Also? Bit of an idiot, so not exactly inspired reading material! I couldnt write a female character to save my life.

I sing for my own enjoyment, but mostly to keep my voice from siezing like an oilless engine, since I dont talk much.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited June 2014
    DreadKhan said:

I couldnt write a female character to save my life.

You'd be surprised how many blogspots you can find on the internet dedicated to "writing a good female character." So if it's any consolation, you're not the only one having trouble. ;)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Im curious, why are female characters so difficult? @Nonnahswriter @Dreadkhan