Skip to content

Nothing happens after first conversation - Irenicus dungeon

TeraAkronTeraAkron Member Posts: 10
Hi all,

Please help me...I am a bit desperate because I can't solve this problem and I really want to play this game.

Whenever I start a new BG2 SoA game (fresh install), with any character (imported, new or one of the presets), the Irenicus "time for more experiments" cutscene begins to play...but once the golem comes in and Irenicus says "they act sooner than we had anticipated", the conversation stops, Irenicus and the golem keep looking at each other...and nothing happens. The game doesn't move on. It doesn't crash to desktop or anything, music keeps going on, but it just seems that the conversation breaks and the game is "stuck".

I have no mods installed whatsoever and I tried 4-5 fresh re-installs already, on different drivers just to be sure. I tried uninstalling and re-installing sound and graphics drivers. I tried to use the "repair installation" feature in the launcher many times. Nothing worked. I am running on a modern machine (I5, Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB RAM etc).

I am clueless what is going wrong, and any help would be much welcome and appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Dee may be able to help you
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This is the first I've seen of this kind of issue. Did you get your copy from Steam or from Beamdog?
  • TeraAkronTeraAkron Member Posts: 10
    I bought it from Beamdog direct, normal install through the BG2 downloader.

Any help appreciated
  • TeraAkronTeraAkron Member Posts: 10
    Dear all,

Pls find attached a screenshot of what happens..the game is 'stuck' on the screen. Music continues, Irenicus and golem keep looking at each other, but nothing happens.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It sounds like one or more files are messed up (I say one or more because if this cutscene is stalling, it's entirely possible that every cutscene will stall in the same way). Does the same issue happen if you start a new Black Pits II or Throne of Bhaal game (that is, when you get to a cutscene, does it complete successfully or does it hang like this one)?

One thing I would recommend trying is to delete the baldur.ini file in Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\ and then launch the game. That will set the game's internal settings to default, which may fix the problem if something got corrupted in your ini file.