Skip to content

Cleric Snoozefest Playthrough

I was thinking about playing a class that I never have before, and thought about a cleric.

But aren't they boring and no use as a pure class? Viconia is just as useful as a protagonist cleric.

I was thinking maybe Priest of Helm, seeking sword is pretty good in BGEE. Was thinking Half Orc for fun.

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Pure cleric is an interesting playthrough to try soloing, especially if you dont use clerics very aggressively.

Clerics have some really good spells at low level, can use the ol' cheese tactics of the Sleep wand and the fireball necklace, so its not THAT hard compared to some... but the werewolf island might not be very doable, since your damage will suck... the Wand of Heavens is perhaps your best bet, but obviously not great. Dont think you csn hit him with cleric weapons. For that matter, the WoH is pretty decent, make sure you use it once you get it!

Great standout spells I can think of are Command (devastating!), Sanctuary, Hold Person, Silence, Feeblemind, Animate Dead and of course the bigger self buffs (duhm, etc). Slings will probably be your best friend, with Ashideena to whack sleepy enemies. I offed Sarevok with a sling in my playthrough... take that Goliath!

Thief/cleric is MUCH better... backstab and dealing with traps is nice. Any kit will make life easier, as will going evil.
    Tbh, nothing is quite as satisfying as thwacking someone dropped via Command, the saveless wonder. Downright shocking how many enemies this works for that are otherwise tough. Early dual from ranger could be pretty interesting, I never tried the boosted spell list before. Druid is not great early, but cleric is good enough you wont care.

However, I assure you, you wont play clerics the same after a solo with one.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I'm playing an all Clerics run in BG2, using Divine Remix and custom edits to the characters. It's been really easy AFAIP, since 3/6 of them are Multi-Classed.

I'd go for a Priest of Lathander->Mage at level 11 for vanilla games.
    Psst! 3/6 simplifies to 1/2. Teachers will take marks away for 3/6!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I like Clerics. Not quite so much as a single-class, but dual-class and multi-class Clerics are great fun. For a single-class Cleric, I favour Priest of Lathander - the Boon of Lathander is a very useful innate ability, both for the extra APR and the protection from level-drain. Unlike some other innates, BoL continues to be useful throughout BG1+2.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I think its pretty fun to cleric the bad part comes from how little choice u get in who to worship
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    thespace said:

The closest thing I can enjoy is a Cleric/Ranger, which is tough, versatile and fun.

... and ludicrously broken.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

Far less than a Kensai/Mage.
    Which is in turn a walking, talking joke compared to a sorcerer.

Kensai mage isnt better than berserker unless you dualed very late, and thus must hate fun.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Archaos, @DreadKhan: exactly, it's true that Clerics aren't supposed to have druid spells, but at the end of the day any arcane caster (inlcuding Bard) is still more powerful. Yesterday I dualled a Ranger into a Priest of Lathander to create a versatile divine caster. I don't expect to breeze through the game becasue of it.
    I find low level Clerics are among the strongest low level characters. They certainly cant keep up with mages by mid-game, but command, silence etc are just incredible. I dont known if bards are as good casters at HLA territory, but I guess bards get traps.
  • SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
    Command still warrants a save, right?

Looks like I won't be having that cleric playthrough eh...

I don't see the point of a Cleric Mage (aka, nerfed Mage) but a Fighter/Cleric, R/Cleric might be fun.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Command only gives a save if the target is over a certain level. Can't remember off hand what it is but it affects most enemies in the game giving no saving throw.
    edited June 2014
    @SuperFeature, it depends on the level (hit dice) of your foe target whether Command warrants a save. At the lower levels it's a very nice spell, especially if you have party: just 'command' your foe and in one round you finish them off. It's much less powerful than Sleep though, due to its short duration.

As to your character, I think that unless you go for immersive Cleric roleplaying, you're right in picking multi or dual class.
    I'm quite content with my dualled Ranger (level7->Priest of Lathander) with access to both druid and cleric spells, with just enough Stealth for it to be useful (at least with items such as the Boots of Stealth), and as the game continues with a very good Turn Undead ability. In BG2 his 7 Ranger levels will be too few to make him a true warrior (unlike the multiclass Cleric/Ranger), so I intend to play him as a caster most of the time.
    Multiclass Fighter/Cleric is a strong warrior, just like the Cleric/Ranger multi, though a dual class (maybe from Berserker or Barbarian) might be more what you're looking for, since that way you'll be playing a character that's predominantly a Priest, but one with a few extra perks. Another option I haven't seen mentioned yet could be to roll a Swashbuckler and dual to Cleric at level 5 (early-mid BG1) or at level 10 (late BG1), you'll have some nice AC/Thac0/dmg bonuses and a couple of the Thief skills developed.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Archaos said:

Far less than a Kensai/Mage.

As far as I'm aware though Kensai/Mages aren't illegal or an exploit of the game mechanics?
    Ranger/Clerics receive the spell progression of a Druid/Cleric with all the benefits of a Ranger though.
    It's stupid and broken and I refuse to play it, hurmph!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @thespace, stealth dropping? As in the stealth score being lowered? I'm not sure whether this happened, would have to check this.
    Or did you mean the stealth ability getting disabled during the dualclassing process? This is normal behavior I think, when I regained my Ranger levels I was able again to use Stealth again.
    edited June 2014

As far as I'm aware though Kensai/Mages aren't illegal or an exploit of the game mechanics?
    Ranger/Clerics receive the spell progression of a Druid/Cleric with all the benefits of a Ranger though.
    It's stupid and broken and I refuse to play it, hurmph!

Why do you care so much about the rules? By SoA a single Sorcerer can eat five Cleric/Rangers for breakfast, but it's not "illegal or an exploit of the game mechanics", so that's ok? I really don't understand such reasoning. Given the complete disbalance between various classes in terms of their power the game mechanics are by no means consecrated for me.

EDIT:
    thespace said:

@thespace, stealth dropping? As in the stealth score being lowered? I'm not sure whether this happened, would have to check this.
    Or did you mean the stealth ability getting disabled during the dualclassing process? This is normal behavior I think, when I regained my Ranger levels I was able again to use Stealth again.

This is what I'm talking about...an apparent bug:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30756/7595-core-dueled-stalker-lost-stealth-points#latest
    Interesting, hadn't heard of it. Seems something that has to do with transition from BG1 to BG2. My Ranger dualled at level 7 and regained his Ranger levels in BG1 (I removed the XP cap and allowed my character to surpass the 161k XP limit by 20k so that he could complete the dualing process in BG1.)
    Maybe this won't be an issue, but I'll definitely check in SoA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Blackraven‌ I wouldnt be so quick to declare sleep 'better' than command for a few reasons. Casting time and no delay between cast and effect is hard to overvalue. Mage gonna lightning bolt you in a tight corridor during a no-reload? Or Mirror Image, or even Shield? I DON'T THINK SO! Most enemies dont even get a save. This can shut down a nasty caster, and most enemies are skeleton bait after being Commanded. I see it as very different utility wise from Sleep, but not worse. Obviously an 18 wis cleric can spam Command at lvl 1, something most wizards cannot.

Obviously at a certain point feeblemind, silence and even Miscast are better caster killers, but a free pass vs everyones favourite Friendly Arm assassin? Yes please. Silke? Thespa-whatnow? I cant hear you over the sound my mace makes while turning you skull gooey.

Sleep is good too mind you, but spamming Command at low levels is very, very effective vs casters. I never even thought of this until I tried soloing a cleric. It wasnt as easy as a Sorcerer, but very nearly at times. I didnt even have a great roll, low strength.
  • SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
    At level 1, how can a cleric 'spam' command, and a sorcerer not spam sleep?

Single round sleep to one target vs sleep multiple targets for longer time. I feel like I'm missing something here? Sleep IMO is undoubtedly better, but command is 'useful'...