Skip to content

Keeping the Original Roll

Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
So how many of you have played characters that use the original die roll -- no transferring of numbers from one stat to the other? I've never done it myself, but I plan on trying it at some point.

EDIT: Couldn't make this a poll because I couldn't find the poll option until AFTER I posted it.

Comments

• CentoparCentopar Member Posts: 17
    I did it once for each game. After that, I either re-rolled (lots) or used Gatekeeper/Shadowkeeper. Yes, I know it's cheating.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    @Centopar
    What do you mean, by "it's cheating"?
    (Humanoid_Taifun: starting arguments on the internet since 2002)
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @Humanoid_Taifun
    What do you mean, by "starting arguments"
    *Bjjorick has discovered his bhaal spawn powers, the powers.....of trolling*
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I did it the first time I played the game, because I didn't know anything about d&d, and I didn't know you could transfer points. Needless to say I promptly died fighting Shank in Candlekeep and shelved the game for a long time.
    ouch, how bad were your rolls awong? I don't try to min/max, so long as i have something as low as 18 in all stats, i'm happy.
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    Awong124 said:

I did it the first time I played the game, because I didn't know anything about d&d, and I didn't know you could transfer points. Needless to say I promptly died fighting Shank in Candlekeep and shelved the game for a long time.

Me too! Lol, yay n00bs :)

Bjjorick said:

ouch, how bad were your rolls awong? I don't try to min/max, so long as i have something as low as 18 in all stats, i'm happy.

I don't remember. I was like 12 or 13, so I didn't have a lot of patience for it. At the time I've never even heard of D&D, and I didn't understand the mechanics of it at all. I thought RPGs were supposed to play like Final Fantasy games. I got BG as a gift. Now I'm glad my uncle gave me this game, because I've grown to love D&D.
    and what killed me on my first play through was that i played a mage, then proceeded to use him as a tank. i got frustrated because i couldn't figure out why he was dieing in just one hit.

too much final fantasy i guess :P
    Yeah, I didn't understand why I only had like 10 hp.
  • Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
    I just rolled a character in BG1. Rolled a 96. 15, 16, 16, 16, 17, 16

Yeah!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Humanoid_Taifun : arguments? PFFFT! You're awesome, you don't start arguments D:

Hint hint - dark-lauron here :p (hope you still remember me. ODDS ARE YOU DON'T XD )
    @Bjjorick
    What I mean by that? Some people might say I love trolling. Fortunately for me, I've acquired quite a reputation on the BioWare boards, so there will always be people like Cheesebelly who do their best to whiteknight for me. ;) (let's see how that works out here, on a new board)
    In this particular case, I am restarting a discussion that comes up again and again and again: People use the term "cheating" in a way I don't like.
    @Cheesebelly
    Sure I remember you. I just recently responded to you on the old board in a 2 year-old thread. You probably don't remember what our discussion was about though, so let's just say I won.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It doesn't make sense, because unlike the pen and paper rules, you pick class first then roll. It should be the other way round
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2012
    Hello, @Humanoid_Taifun , nice to see you here, friend.

On-topic: I've never tried playing a natural-roll character before. I always go into a new run wanting to play a specific character class that is maybe different from the last one I played. So I have to have greater than 15 in the right attributes, and I find it way too frustrating to play a character with bad scores.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    They gave me the reroll tool for a reason.

Nevermind that any question of legitimacy or illegitimacy would be moot if they'd just bloody well use point buy!
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Ctrl-Shift 8. Awwwwwww right.

..er, I mean, I totally rolled all 18's and a perfect 100 percentile for my fighter.
    @belgarathmth I checked my emails and noticed that I have an account here. So I thought I might as well use it.
    @Nathan It's not impossible...
    Holy mother of god... O_O
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Wouldn't it have sucked to get numbers like that but then have something disappointing like 18/10 for Str?
    edited August 2012
    Well, you only need to collect the tome of strength and it doesn't matter if it was 18/10 or 18/00.

@Cheesebelly Didn't you post a similar screenshot back then in response, only with every score having 3 digits?
    edited August 2012
    @Humanoid_Taifun : you mean... this?

I guess that's one of my few prides I can have about BG2.... ** on Gimp weapon proficiency!

Edit, picture's terribly small because 1920x1080 resolution. Just view image ;)
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2012
    ajwz said:

It doesn't make sense, because unlike the pen and paper rules, you pick class first then roll. It should be the other way round

I'm always a bit confused when I see comments like this, as rules are left to the discretion of the DM, and are thus more like guidelines.

@Humanoid_Taifun :
    I am not necessarily calling you a liar, but there are plenty of mods out there that allow the alteration of stats without ever having to roll.
    edited August 2012
    [Sorry for doublepost. My internet-connection was kind of "bad" at the time of posting.]
    Post edited by Humanoid_Taifun on
    @Anduine
    The image is fake. Don't worry about calling me a liar.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    When I reroll, I reroll a lot, and I always reroll. :) My best roll is 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 6(after distributing). Ring of Human Influence takes care of my Charisma if needed...
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    My best roll is CTRL-8
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Wasn't there some d&d game which kept track of the number of rerolls per character and scaled up enemy encounters throughout the game depending on when the number of rolls exceeded certain thresholds?
    ToEE if my memory serves correctly, though I might be wrong...
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    I've never kept the first roll. I kept going till I got something I was happy with. In fact, as a PNP DM, I used to ask players..."Do you know where all the bones in the dungeon come from?". When they couldn't answer me I told them, "Average characters!".
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    Nope, can't say I've ever taken the first roll. In fact if I don't get a decent total after about a couple dozen throws, I use the Ctrl + 8 cheat. Then I pare down the scores to a more 'realistic' but still powerful set of stats.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I never have played like this even once. The reason is because I want to make and play character I want, not the character that computer rolled for me. While saying this I must emphasise that I never try to make a perfect character. That kind of PC is boring.