Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited July 2014
    edited July 2014
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited January 2020

Turkey

Turkey is being tolerant because they want to join Ue to get an economical boost, not because they share the cultural values Christians got - and you can easily guess this by the fact that they do not acknowledge the genocide of kurds.

I'm confused I thought it was "no way to talk to these people" and yet clearly we have a country that is 99.8% muslim in which we are talking to and is (at least in my countries case given its in NATO) an ally.

The latest constitution in Turkey, which guarantees religious freedom, was written in 1982. A decade before the Maastricht Treaty. If this was part of an elaborate conspiracy on their part to join the EU then frankly (given its been over 30 years since their constitution was ratified) they kind of suck at it.

Not really sure what you mean by not acknowledging the genocide of kurds. In the link you provided above on this topic all the events that are discussed (at least the ones involving government forces) happened 80+ years ago under an entirely different government than what turkey has today. If you are talking about Turkish treatment of the PKK then that is a different as many countries consider it to be a terrorist organization. At the end of the day though recognising a genocide doesn't make it fine that it was done in the first place and actually taking part in one is a far more significantly immoral action (and there are predominately christian countries, like Rwanda, that have also engaged in genocide).
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited July 2014
    @Sergio - I disagree with you completely and on almost every point. I am borderline offended by many of your views. Reading your posts actually makes me feel sad. I'm well aware of the Lee Rigby murder. It was tragic and terrible. It was two bad men dressing up their violence as piety (and no less "crazy" than any of the other murders I listed), and a failure of the security services who had been aware of at least one of them before it happened.

"There is no right and wrong, especially when people's lives are in danger" - This is exactly when right and wrong are critical. If you only consider right and wrong when it's convenient then you end up doing wrong whenever it matters. As we're on a forum for a computer game where right/wrong choice are commonplace, think about what happens when you ignore morality in that sort of decision. I know my country's government has tended to to do the easy thing instead of the right thing a lot lately.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited January 2020

Except that based on your own link the majority of academics don't view it as a genocide. Also the article is lacking sources and has a broken link in the section where this particular academic (Desmond Fernandes) breaks down the reasons this should be considered a genocide. So if you are going to say that Turkey should be judged for a genocide of the kurds I think you need a bit more than what you provided. Especially since it seems like former policies mentioned in it (like banning the kurdish language from being used) haven't been in place for over 20 years.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    It's okay, Sergio, you're young and it takes a lot of guts to apologise. As for Universities, I'd suggest as big a University in as big a City as you can find. From a life standpoint they've usually got the best parties, and from an academic standpoint they usually do well. They also tend to be culturally diverse, and you might meet some normal Muslim people who challenge some of your ideas.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Not only are they beholden to political correctness, the majority of them are on the Turkish government's payroll.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Isandir‌ speaking of Thailand and politics... what is really going on over there?

I have a friend who traveled there just last week, and I thought he was crazy to go in the middle of a coup. Are there really curfews and checkpoints and the like?
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Oh my my. This is a great forum. :):):) I'm so proud. *Beaming at forumites!* :P
    I'll comment on a some of this other stuff very soon after work. For now I just got sent this video. It's interesting to hear from the other side of the whole asylum seeker situation, not just government rhetoric.

http://anggos.com.au/blogs/phillip-b/2014-07-12/johns-story-getup
    edited July 2014
    That's a very interesting article, @Heindrich, and made me reread a bit on historic Islamic Caliphates. Naturally, as with any ancient or medieval civilization it's not all sunshine and rainbows, but they were by and large nothing like the Jihadis of today. There's a very good documentary called "Science and Islam" that I watched a few years back. While much of Europe was locked in the Dark Ages of the 7th and 8th Centuries North Africa and the Middle East were centres of learning, and avid colectors of knowledge. Much of what we know of Ancient Greek philosophers and mathematicians is from Arabic translations, and they made significant mathematical and scientific advances too. Many words we use today, like algebra or algorithm, are Arabic words (or derived from the names of their discoverers). While expansionist, these ancient states were broadly tolerant for their time period, with Jews living in these states permitted more rights than in European states, and prosperous Jewish communities existing in places like Al-Andalus under Islamic rule.

It is sad and strange that rather than seeking to emulate a time of prosperity, knowledge and tolerance, Jihadis would rather rule through violence and fear.
    This has been a common theme through modern times though. Granted we are no strangers to harsh and tyrannical rule. But the Islamic faith was by far one of the more enlightened of ancient times as far as its attitude towards science goes. If I was born in the middle ages then Cordoba would have been a great place to live.

A lot of people like the blame the Crusades for Jihad when in actuality, Jihad was around before the Christian Crusades. (http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/ryan-mauro/blaming-the-crusades-for-jihad-2/) Is it to much to ask that religions just leave each other alone? Is there no enough space for two major faiths on Earth? Was there, even then, to many people on Earth?

Maybe I'm just a soul born out of time, but I look at the world today and I don't really like what I see. Maybe it's just because of my history, because of the things I've seen and done in the name of my country and government that makes me so cynical. I don't know. Nor do I know what can be done to make the world a better place.

Change is naturally scary to humans, we don't like things changing. To share one of my favorite quotes:

" The past tempts us, the present confuses us and the future frightens us. "

There is a certain poetic truth in that. . .
This discussion has been closed.