Skip to content

Creative Solutions to the 7th Character Issue

PaarethPaareth Member Posts: 34
edited June 2014 in General Modding
Greetings all, way back when, when I was working on Paareth's Evil NPC pack (which I still have in various stages of disrepair), I had often toyed with how to put a 7th NPC into BG2. Though now of course with the addition of an evil thief and an evil blackguard, two of what I had worked on, there seems little point continuing on with the pack itself.

So my questions turn to the 7th NPC instead!

Now before anyone rails on about engine limitations, I was thinking outside the party system. Obviously you have the ability to use summoning items which are reasonably straight forward; then there is adding an NPC to important battles who assists the player, a bit more work but perfectly possible; if you are feeling like a lot of work there is adding an NPC to every area in BG2 and having them accompany the player (time consuming). Other additions perhaps are to have an item like a talking sword, gemstone, or other item. I was thinking gemstone myself as an interesting addition, as a 7th character in banters and such like.

Now as its been a good 5 years since I looked at the code, forgive me if adding a non party character to party character initiated banters (as a 3rd speaker) is impossible, as I wouldn't know without looking.

You see what I am saying though and what I am asking hopefully, what other ways can you conceive of doing this? Getting a follower who can be interacted with dialogue wise and banterwise, even if they don't add much in combat.

As for the type of NPC - My initial thoughts are using either an npc who has been bound, or is actually dead and thus can die repeatedly like a spirit, perhaps an aspect of the god himself who has broken away and wants to avoid being returned to it. For the good side of things there could be a spectral knight who can't abandon his cause because of an oath, as an example, or a young girl who simply couldn't pass on etc.

Link to the old pack thread:
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/36423-paareths-evil-npc-pack-for-baldurs-gate-2/
Post edited by Paareth on

Comments

• TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    edited June 2014
    Could use mercenary contracts. It could just be a piece of paper you buy from vendors, and would work like a summon monster scroll/wand that anybody can use. Using it teleports a mercenary, prisoner/slave, badass to your location. They'll work for 24 hours but are restriced to one combat zone... the contract is very specific. If one dies in your service you should lose a rep point.

They'd have to be expensive or rare to stop people abusing them.

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I had never thought of this before. @TheGraveDigger‌ has an awesome idea right there! I would love to see that!
  • PaarethPaareth Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2014
    That would be a decent idea, could establish a mercenary guild building and add NPCs to it whenever we liked that way. Only tricky bit is upgrading the contract depending on what act or level the player is on.