Skip to content

Fighter/Mage/Thief and Fighter/Mage/Cleric two person party?

Having finished another game, I had an idea for a two-person party. I have the xp cap override already in place, and I have an Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief ready to go solo. But I was thinking that it would be kind of cool if I could create a Fighter/Mage/Cleric also. I could name them Yin and Yang, and play the pair through the entire saga. Is something like this possible, and if so, how would I go about doing it?

Comments

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    Wow. Thanks so much Elminster!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I think it's the most powerful party possible.
    Gotural said:

I think it's the most powerful party possible.

It's essentially 2x fighter, 2x mage, thief, and cleric. All rolled into 2! No xp cap, and no pathfinding headaches.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited June 2014
    The REAL two people party, is:
    1) Swashbuckler Mage
    2) Cleric Ranger.

But you would have no Thief.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    Gotural said:

You'd have no thief HLA's, no backstab and limited trap usage but other than that your swashbuckler levels should cover most if not all of your thieving utility abilities.
    Post edited by elminster on
    elminster said:

Gotural said:

You'd have no thief HLA's, no backstab and limited trap usage but other than that your swashbuckler levels should cover most if not all of your thieving utility abilities.
    Nevermind my comment, @Demonoid_Limewire‌ originally posted Berserker/Mage that's why I was mistaking.
    edited June 2014

The REAL two people party, is:
    1) Swashbuckler Mage
    2) Cleric Ranger.

Are you sure this time? Seeing as how this is the REAL two member party and all, you'd probably better be sure - otherwise you might have to edit your post again. :)

Edit: I'm one to talk - I've done so much editing since I've been here that the mods probably have gray hair already.
    edited June 2014
    I was thinking of instead rolling with a fighter/mage/thief and a fighter/cleric - in which case I could just play normally and use Yeslick. Mainly I would want the second class to be a tank and buffer, and not being able to cast in armor would hurt some, seeing as how at least one of my two guys will need to wear armor to tank. Might as well be the cleric due to superior buffs - at which point the mage part becomes kind of redundant and serves only to hold back the fighter progression.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    What superior buffs, though? I don't see the need for a cleric at all, but if you want one, ranger/cleric is superior to f/c.
    A mage tanks ten times better than any F/C or R/C could ever wish to.
    edited June 2014
    Thanks guys - I was trying to talk myself into taking poor Yeslick but you've gone and ruined it. Lord knows how lonely it gets down in the cloakwood mines just waiting for the next charname to come along, and when they do, they always have a full party. I can just imagine Yeslick down there kicking at dust, and the way his face brightens up everytime he hears a party coming. He starts counting heads as soon as they round the corner..."1, 2, 3...". And as soon as he counts 6, his countenance drops again and he goes back to kicking at dust. Poor Yeslick...

Edit: On a more serious note, I started a new playthrough with a Blackguard, so I will keep this idea in mind for when I finish.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I always wanted a cleric/mage/thief and an inquisitor for my whole party. Bummer about the illegal class combo thing...
    Blackguards are super cool ! Hope you will like your playthrough :)
    atcDave said:

I always wanted a cleric/mage/thief and an inquisitor for my whole party. Bummer about the illegal class combo thing...

Would 100% in Dispel Illusion (Thief) completely do away with the need for True Sight? If the answer is yes, then an Inquisitor is a hard sell for me, even though I would still get the uber-dispel. I always roll with a full thief.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I'd say that the best two-PCs-party is Berserker->Cleric and Assassin->Mage. Or Berserker/Holy Strategist of the Red Knight and Assassin/Conjurer if you are using my BGT install.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

atcDave said:

Would 100% in Dispel Illusion (Thief) completely do away with the need for True Sight? If the answer is yes, then an Inquisitor is a hard sell for me, even though I would still get the uber-dispel. I always roll with a full thief.

Yes it would but with an inquisitor you can have him activate that (perhaps right before battle) and then actually be doing something.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Pfft, doing stuff is for chumps, make a skeleton warrior do it for you!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    DreadKhan said:

Pfft, doing stuff is for chumps, make a skeleton warrior do it for you!

Lol...

I actually really like the idea of playing a straight Mage who never dirties his hands with a weapon... Well... Maybe Staff of the Magi...
    After all:
    "... would you part an old man from his support?"
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited June 2014
    abacus said:

I actually really like the idea of playing a straight Mage who never dirties his hands with a weapon... Well... Maybe Staff of the Magi...
    After all:
    "... would you part an old man from his support?"

Tried it! Is a hell of a lot of fun. Although I did have to hide a fair bit and rest after my hordes of useless minions went and got themselves slaughtered by the enemy. >.<
    I didn't play it for very long as I have the attention span of a fl- Oh look a squirrel! *Drops laptop*