Skip to content

Whats a good armor class/attack/stat for 3rd edition?

I remember that in 2nd edition 18/80 strength was pretty good, 17 or 18 dexterity were great and constitution was maxed at 19.

But what about in 3rd edition for neverwinter nights, eye of the beholder (gba), temple of elemental evil?

1-For around a level 10 party or character. What is a good Strength like in 2nd edition? Is it 20?

2-For dexterity, the same question as above

3-For armor class the same as above

4-For to hit score what is a good score as above

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    18 is still really good for any stat, and the highest you can get without racial modifiers or magical equipment. Instead of each stat having its own table of effects, Third Edition gives each ability score a linear progression: very briefly, you take your score, subtract 10, and divide by 2, rounding down.

So a Strength of 18 will get you (18-10 = 8, /2 = 4) +4 to melee attack and damage, while a Dexterity of 18 will get you +4 to AC and ranged attacks.

Your race will probably give you +2 to one of your ability scores unless you're playing a human; choose a race that gives the bonus to the ability score you want to use the most (so elves make great archers, half-orcs make great swordsmen, and dwarves make great tanks).

For Armor Class, you start with a base of 10, and armor and Dexterity increase it from there; so a higher score is better. At level 10, an AC of 20 would be about average.

Same thing with to-hit; you always want a higher score for each of your stats. A fighter gets a base attack bonus equal to his level; so a level 10 fighter with 18 Strength will have at least a +14 BAB. Magic weapons and feats will grant additional bonuses on top of that.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    It depends a lot of your class, your choices of feats, if you multiclassed or such.

1 : I guess a good warrior has about 20 natural strenght at level 10, so something like 24 with a belt +4.

2 : Because armor imposes a penalty on the maximum bonus you can benefit from dexterity, fighters tends to have low dex, 13 is generally excellent. Thieves could be somewhere around 20, but not too much above, because it doesn't benefits any skills like in 2E, only AC and range attacks.

3 : A level 10 figher should have something along the lines of 26 AC, it could be more or less depending of his equipment.

4 : The same fighter should have something like +18 to hit I guess.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    Any stat 12 or above gives you bonuses. In NWN at least you have to point buy and you don't get to re-roll endlessly. 18 is still the limit before racial bonuses, but if you take an 18 in one stat it's going to severely limit what other stats you can get.

1. At level 10, if you took 18 Str at level 1, then 20's good (you get another stat point at levels 4 and 8). chances are your other stats will be rubbish.

2. Depends on your class and your armor. In 3e, armor has a Maximum Dex bonus on it. The heavier the armor, the less a high dex will help. For example if you're wearing Full Plate (max dex bonus +1) it doesn't matter if your dex is 12 or 20, you'll only get +1 to AC from your Dex.

So, if you're playing a fighter type who's going to end up in heavy armor, you don't need a Dex above 12 (13 if you want to qualify for certain feats) If on the other hand you're going for a rogue, ranger or barbarian, or someone who's focussing on two-weapon style then you want to pump your Dex rather than your Strength.

3. Depends on the level. At level 10, anything in the range of 28-32 is going to make you nigh invulnerable to same-level attackers.

4. As high as you can get it. For fighter types, 4-6 above your level (so +14-16) is pretty good.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Depends on the armor and type of armor, really.

A 10 level Fighter should start with 16-18 STR, depending on the race. Then you should put 2 points of STR for 18-20 at level 10.

For Dex, you want 8-12 in Full Plate. If you find a Mithral Full Plate then 16 DEX gives you the maximum but you can raise it with items.

For AC, there are lots of factors. Spells? Shield? Items? Feats?
    Equipping the best stuff you find will give you good AC typically.

Same with Attack Bonus on Fighter. STR increases your Attack Bonus as well as feats and as you go higher in level.

But why do you ask? Are you playing some particular game like Icewind Dale II, NwN2 or Temple of Elemental Evil? Some other game? PnP?

What's your party combination? We need to know more to help you.
  • KKnightKKnight Member Posts: 26
    I am asking because I always wondered which of my character parties from 2nd edition were more powerful than 3rd edition parties. I usually play Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Kotor 1 and 2, Pool of radiance, Knights of the Chalice and sometimes eye of the beholder on GBA. I saw a character list of a fighter from kotc with 42 strength. I just wanted to know how powerful that is compared to 2nd edition. I like both editions
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    ...42 Strength is godlike. That would be 25 STR in ADnD, twice.

For example, Sarevok's STR in 3.5E would be 20-22 I think.
    Started with 16-18 (which is the maximum for a human) added all points in STR which are 4. (4th, 8th, 12th,16th)

And I'm not sure Knights of the Chalice is pure DnD3.5 There might be many different rules.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'd say as a guideline

AB = 1.5 * Level +5 = 20 | Level = 10
    AC = 1.5 * Level +15 = 30 | Level = 10

Your primary stat should be about

18 +Level/4 = 20 | Level = 10

and even higher come epic levels.

This is for powergaming PvM, not PvP, which is tougher.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    1: 18-20 STR for fighters in 3E.
    In AD&D, its 18/50+.

2. 12 DEX for fighters in full plate, 17+ for dual-wielding fighters in leather, 19+ for rogues, 14 or so for mages.
    In AD&D, any class besides rogue with 16+ DEX, and for rogues its obviously 18+.

3. 26+ for most classes besides mages.
    In AD&D, I'd say 0 to -2.

4. Attack schedule should be somewhere around +14/+9 with a third attack added to the schedule at level 11 for fighters.
    In AD&D, I'd say 5 and lower for THAC0.