Skip to content

NON Archer kit Bow advice

So my current fighter/mage will be going into BG2 soon and I was curious what bow proficiency I should focus on. If I were an Archer kit, I would use short bow as the Archer kit's strength's lie in the most attacks per round possible. However, since my fighter/mage is not an "Archer" per se, would long bow be a better choice? Or would short bow still be stronger?

As a side note, I know melee is generally a stronger choice for a fighter/mage but this build is themed towards archery. A sort of Arcane Archer, if you will.

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Personally, I'am a massive fan of Tansheron's Bow early on replaced with Shortbow of Gesen later on. Taralash in ToB can also be really cool.
    Have you considered Crossbows as well? They are a bit slower but Firetooth is available from Watchers Keep without even doing the keep itself...
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Yea, the only longbows that came to mind were the Mana bow and the Heartseeker... Which IMO the myriad of decent short bows and crossbows out class. I think they originally had it designed with the concept of you being more likely to need a short bow or a cross bow for your thieves then a longbow for a ranger...
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    As a secondary weapon shortbow is the best choice. As primary weapon I would go for longbow. Slings and darts are worth considering too. Darts are fast. Slings get a strength bonus attack.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you are going to use a longbow you may want to consider installing arow10.itm

from

forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31976/elminster-s-micro-bg2ee-fixes-and-tweaks/p1

It will make it so that your arrows of piercing count as +4 weapons when it comes to determining what they work against.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Why not sling?
    Greater whirlwind + 20 strenght + +4 bullets + sling +4 and you deal more than 180 damage per round.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Pibaro said:

Why not sling?
    Greater whirlwind + 20 strenght + +4 bullets + sling +4 and you deal more than 180 damage per round.

Well you're certainly not wrong, but as @jackjack‌ said, the mental image is a tad bit much for my roleplaying mind. ;)
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    In a six second round it's true, but a real rount lasts for 60 seconds. I can easily imagine a very fast man throwing a bullet every six second.
    But it's indeed a funny image, and a good reason for me to do it :)