Skip to content

Idea for a mod - BG1 at higher levels

SedSed Member Posts: 790
I got the idea of reading some of the initial posts in this discussion:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32657/i-ve-come-to-feel-that-bg2-is-very-overrated-as-an-rpg/

How much work would it require to just "level up" the whole of BG:EE to starting levels around lvl 6-8 (in that area) and continue up to maybe lvl 15-16?

This would mean replacing monsters, giving proper levels to enemy NPC's, changing scripts (bg2/scs) etc, do still have a challenging and fun experience with the benefit of BG1's open area freedom and with the fun stuff of a little more magic, wider range of abilities etc. (and of course adjust the experience gain). This is also the level range I personally feel is the most balanced.

Since I've never even touched the modding parts other than using other people's mods, I have no idea what kind of work would be behind this.

Comments

• fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    Not hard. it easy to change some of the random monsters. Get rid of all those Gnolls please.
    I would leave most of the main story alone though. As soon as you start on Cloakwood it is fairly tough.
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2014
    p.s. Someone upvote this discussion.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    How about making certain high level combats optional?

1)High level gnoll stronghold
    2)High level Candlekeep tomb
    3) High level Ulcaster ruins...

That way you can start at level 1, but choose which dungeons you'd like to explore at higher levels.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @fanscale @DJKajuru‌
    Well, the main idea was that I really wanted the whole game "leveled up", so play through just the way you always do, but with different approaches to combat as you start around lvl 6 and go up to 15. Just to get the feel of higher level gameplay, but with the BG1 story and areas.

So same old game, just at higher levels with scaled enemies.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Like the heart of fury mode, from IWD?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Sed, not exactly what you are proposing yet, but this mod made by @CrevsDaak looks like a good starting point :)
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @DJKajuru‌
    Can't say I remember the details about Heart of fury-mode as it's been a while.

@Erg‌ Indeed it does, but as that mod also implies, you need SCS or something similar for more advanced scripting. Also I don't want gnolls and hobgoblins to be complete pushovers while enemies with classes can put up a fight :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I am looking into enhancing my mod, but I didn't had much time to. Next update will have a little more stuff, like setting THAC0 and Saving throws at the correct value, giving weapons and proficiencies to enemies that don't have one, etc. And of course, making hobogoblins and other un-classed enemies tougher.