Skip to content

Ideas / thoughts on playthrough...

So! Basicly I've played the games quite a bit... But I've never really "RP'ed" them ... I've always just picked whoever I felt was best and then went on a murderous rampage...

But I want to remedy that! I want to try and RP, atleast some!

I want to try this SCS everyone is talking about, and perhaps the item randomizer thingy?

The Item random, does that make ... EVERYTHING random? Say, Firkraag no longer drops Carsomyr etc? Is it only items that's important to the plot / stories / quests that stays in place and everything else is random?
And where would I get these mods, and how do they even work?!

My thoughts so far are as follows:
Use the "cannon" party (Sort of ....)

BG1:
Khalid
Jaheira
Minsc (EE'd to a Barbarian I think)
Imoen
Charname
And Neera over Dynaheir ... I just like her, I dunno.... ^^ Will have to cheat a little and dump her somewhere random:P Also to be able to carry the same spellcaster over into BG2.

BG2:
Jaheira
Minsc
Imoen
Neera
Charname
????

Now here's one more of my problems... I realize my team lacks a cleric, but I figured that atleast for BG1 Jaheira could fill that role OK, but in BG2 there's just so many buffs and stuff, that I would like to use.

So my plan was to make a Undead Slayer Paladin (Gives some Cleric spells) And drag Viconia along in BG2, sort of the "damsel in distress" "The outcast" ... You know, believing that she's capable of good or what have we? Does it make sense from a story / RP perspective? I mean I know you can change her allignment and all that... Would make for interesting story, the Paladin falling in love with the Drow! :P

Or go a total different way and make a Cleric, maybe even a Mage / Cleric or something... But then again, who would fit in instead of Khalid in BG2?

As I said, I wish to try and RP the game, not just powergame / Metagame all the way through!

Hope someone has some ideas / input :)

/Spungi

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I haven't tried an RP play through myself, although reading about them is tempting me, so take my advice for what it's worth.

I'd say go with what will stimulate your imagination, since you're trying for a RP based game. I think, by 2nd Edition D&D rules, that a paladin who knowingly travels around with someone of evil alignment automatically loses paladin status. However, since the game doesn't hold to that, I don't see why you couldn't make it work. It will lead to a lot of RP opportunities. Viconia is a good character for such a situation because, aside from some vicious commentary, she doesn't really do anything overtly evil that I can remember. And, a paladin focused on slaying undead may be less concerned with a lone evil drow than the legions of undead lurking around. Also, there's the whole Bhaalspawn essence that a paladin would have to be struggling with. Being born with a leaning toward evil and murder might give one a unique perspective on a drow raised in a completely evil society with little chance to learn or display any goodness. Just remember to watch your reputation score so she doesn't decide to abandon you (you might want to consider using the cheats to keep the reputation at a manageable level so you never have to worry about it, since the system itself doesn't entirely make a lot of RP sense).

Good luck!
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    I went the Paladin way ... I'll decide on what to do in BG2 when I get that far.

Think I'll take Viconia, maybe Aerie ... But then I'd have 3 Arcane Casters, and I prefer brute force :P Hah.
    Maybe RP Viconia as the "Lost" soul ... My "Charname" sees something inside her, the will to do good ... Which he believes is the reason she fled the Underdark in the first place (Or one of the reasons) And he wants to help her chose the right path in life...
    This should be interesting, I've never been a big RP'er ... But there's a first for everything!

"Onwards, TO VICTORY!!" :P