Skip to content

Dual Class Shadow Dancer/Wizard

RhombusRhombus Member Posts: 2
I've played BG2 before so I'd like to finally try to solo the game but I'm not sure I fully understand dual classing. I'd like to try a Shadow Dancer but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd like to ask some questions:

- Could I hoard exp and then dual class and drop a large amount in to wizard to avoid having to do the early wizard levels?

- I'm planning to dual class at level 13, would the extra backstab multiplier be worth it? Should I just do it at 9?

- How should I distribute my thief skill point things (pick locks, hide, move silently etc)?
- If I backstab while dual wielding will it attack with both weapons or just one?

- I saw something mentioned about proper weapon efficiency point placement in order to avoid permanently l-losing spent points. Could someone explain this?

- I've heard there are some early quests that require no combat that I could complete easily. I'd like to know the location as well as some spots that would be easy to get my wizard leveled up without an excessive amount of frustration.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for the answers if you choose to give them.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited July 2014
    1. "- Could I hoard exp and then dual class and drop a large amount in to wizard to avoid having to do the early wizard levels?"

No you'd end up losing all that experience and get nothing out of it (you'd still be a level 1 mage).

2. Depends on how you plan on playing your character. Personally I think 9 is better because it takes a long time to get to mage level 14 (1.5 million xp).

3. Shadowdancers generally want to put as much as they can into their Hide in Shadows and Move Silently skills. But it depends on what you are planning to do with the kit.

4. Given the circumstances you've described it would be just one weapon.

5. Basically when you dual class you lose the proficiencies, thief skills, and abilities of your first class temporarily until you reach one level higher in the second class. If you were a thief who put towards quarterstaff, and then again put towards quarter staff as a mage (because when you dual class you choose additional proficiencies), this would be a poor choice from an efficiency standpoint because you'd still end up with only * in quarterstaff (even though between the two classes you put ** into it). You'd be wasting a proficiency point on something that you've already covered.

6. Just look for fetch and carry quests (like returning the teddy bear to the child in the graveyard district). Another one that wouldn't involve combat would be getting the paladin in the graveyard district to adopt the little girl.

Either way if you are going to play as a solo mage then I would look into getting those wands from Irenicus's dungeon (you can sell them and buy them back so they have more charges). The Wand of Fire and the Wand of Cloudkill being two examples. They will probably make your life a bit easier.
  • IzichialIzichial Member Posts: 7
    Two additional tips for getting through levels quickly after dual-classing without having to fight: complete major quests to the point where you need to talk to someone to finish them before dual-classing, then run around completing them after.

The other tip is to hoard a vast amount of scrolls and learn them all right after dual-classing to wizard, since scrolls give (1000 * level of spell) xp (divided among the party) for learning them. If you have multiple of one scroll you can learn it, erase the spell and learn it again. I can't remember if both the spell merchants in Waukeen's Promenade (the one in the Adventurer's Mart and the one up north by the inns) can be stolen from but if they can you don't even need any significant amounts of gold for this method - just wait until you have a decent Pick Pocket skill, chug down a few Potion of Master Thievery, quicksave to be on the safe side and then loot away.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I agree with everything @elminster‌ said but in the special case of a shadowdancer I would dual to mage at a latter level because you will only have 20 skill points per level ( 30 at level 1) and because all the usefulness of the kit is concentrated in the Hide In Plain Sight ability which requires 100 in both Move Silently and Hide In Shadow to work reliably.

Plus if you are playing solo, you should have a lot of xp easily to gain back your Thief class.

Good luck and have fun !