Skip to content

Playing BGII:EE without Steam/off-line mode

Hi, I'd like to play BGII:EE on computer which does not have access to the Internet, does I can't login into Steam and launch the game normally. I wonder, what options do I have?
(1) If I buy the game via beamdog website, do I get standalone, DRM-free installer or just steam key?
(2) I can temporary connect the computer to the Internet. I may install the game via Steam. When the computer is off-line, can I run the bg2main.exe file directly without login into Steam and play the game?
(3) What about save games, are they creates as a local files as in original game, or some fancy cloud-save-steam is implemented for BGII:EE and it will screw my plan to play the game off-line?

Comments

• IzichialIzichial Member Posts: 7
    1) I believe it's standalone, but I bought it through Steam myself so no guarantees.
    2) Possibly, though it isn't necessary. After you've logged in through Steam (while online) once and installed the game, you no longer need to be connected to the internet to get into Steam or subsequently start the game.
    3) Local files.

I recently went on vacation somewhere without internet for a week and I had no issues playing BGII:EE on my laptop through Steam while offline.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    If buy the game from beamdog, you'll need an internet connection just for downloading the game and for checking/downloading updates, but you can play the game offline without any problem.
  • RhombusRhombus Member Posts: 2
    I hope I understood the question but here is something I found on the steam offline FAQ:

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:
    Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
    Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
    Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
    Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected
    From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline
    Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode

Here is the link since there is a mac version as well:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

You should only need a temporary internet connection to get it to work. I'm not positive about the saves but I believe they are local.
  • gamer86gamer86 Member Posts: 7
    If you get it on steam, you would just need to have it online long enough to download and the launch the game once. then you should be able to play it whenever.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Rhombus said:

I'm not positive about the saves but I believe they are local.

Yes they are local.

• logrussologrusso Member Posts: 3
    Thank You all for the answers. It's time to visit Sword Coast for the 100th time and do some butt kicking for goodness! :P