Skip to content

SCS tips?

SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
Well, I just started playing this, and enjoying it this far... Playing the canon party with 1 exception (Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, minsc, Neera and PC as cavalier)
Never gotten my ass handed to me so hard by silke before, but a lucky wild surge cast a stinking cloud on her.

Is there anything I just MUST get, thinking abilities, items or w/e.

I use item randomizer as well.

Done gnoll stronghold and headed for mines now.
Blackraven

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Advice? Don't get killed.
    CaloNordjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited July 2014
    SCS will require a lot more scouting, pre buffing and tactics now. I'm a fan of using an invisible scout (In this case my Jester, to find them and then sing, they go crazy and kill each other. But that's unique to a Jester. Power ballads do this to people. . . ) ;)

You're not going to want to go charging blindly into every engagement. Scout out, bait and lure them apart one or two at a time. Just generally be a bit more careful! ;)
    jackjackJuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Sound advice Mega, hehe.

Guess I haven't done wrong in giving Imoen points in Hide in Shadows and move Silently... Was mostly for backstabbing, but I guess it serves more purposes... sweet!
    No that will be very handy! Just use a little more caution, scout out the area, know the enemies, buff and prepare. :) Trap setting will also be hilarious, you can lay traps then lure the enemy across them. It always makes me laugh, I have the trap set limit removed. ;)
    Blackraven
    Never been a trap fan:) Also too much to ask poor Imoen to do... traps, sneak, find traps and open locks:)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Oooh will look when I'm home. Granted I'm not playing a no-reload run, my knowledge of the game just isn't good enough to do that:)
    CaloNord
    No reload runs add an extra challenge but I've never been a big fan of them myself. I do them from time to time but mostly I just like to enjoy my character. :) SCS adds a great deal of fun and challenge in and of itself though! :)
    Haha, seems like it. My jaw kinda dropped when my lvl 2 minsc was 1 shot by greywolf. Silke though was still the worst so far.. That sequencer with double magic missile... very painful:)
    CaloNord
    Oh you ain't seen nothing yet! :D When I first played through many years ago BG was insanely hard. For me, as a long time player, SCS restored some of it's original challenge! Found it an awesome addition! You'll love some of the stuff coming up! :D
    I hope :) Normal BG is a bit dull now for me aswell... So easy to just haste up, and plow right through everything, guns blazing and all :D I'm looking forward to this adventure! And with item Randomiser ... You find weird stuff some places...
    JuliusBorisovAmeerHM
    That running well on the EE? I was thinking about getting it today!
    I haven't seen any issues yet ... But I must say I'm missing Ankheg plate, and Ring of Wizardry...
    CaloNordAmeerHM
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @CaloNord‌

The Item Randomiser mod is EE-compatible, yes.
    CaloNordAmeerHM
    Cheers guys. I might try it. I'm not entirely sure if I like the idea though. . . will everything turn up at some point? I'd very much like the Ring of Wizardry. . . :P
    From what I gathered, yes... From what I believe you can chose that everything will still be in the game, or not ... Just in different places.
    CaloNordBlackravenAmeerHM
    Interesting! Can always uninstall it to if I don't enjoy it! :)
    Cheers mate! :D
    I sure as hell hope I find Dagger of Venom... That would help me out big time vs mages and other spellcasting douchebags!
    AmeerHM
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    The item randomiser mod works fine with BG:EE, but the dagger of venom cannot be looted, you must buy it in Beregost :)
    As for Scs, I advise you to use the items you found during the game, especially your wands and potions. Invisibility is very potent in the first game, and don't forget to rest often !

Good luck.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    I guess I'm screwed then.... No dagger on the merchant, maybe it comes in a later chapter?!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    It's the blacksmith who sell it. If he doesn't, maybe it has something to do with another mod or maybe a bug. In my actual run with SCS and Item Randomiser I bought it.
    Odd... There's nothing there. Think there's a few items missing on merchants, the thief armor he sells ain't there either...
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    In my modded version of the game the Dagger (along with the Light Crossbow of Speed and the Shadow Armor) is sold at Feldepost's. You might want to check that.
    GoturalJuliusBorisov
    Hmm... Think I looked there, will have to look again:)
    @Gotural‌ has some sound advice. In my years before SCS I never had to use any potion except healing and invisibility and I pretty much never used wands. I didn't care and didn't need them. Now however, I'm doing Durlags Tower and wouldn't be caught dead without a sack full of potions and a bag full of wands. :) I also just noticed with a potion of defence, Rasaads AC drops to -11. Making him quite tanky. :)
    Gotural
    Nope, nothing there... .Come to think of it, Thalantyr is missing all his robes aswell :S
    Blackraven
    Oh dear. . . I would like items on the NPCs and in some stashes to be moved randomly but not all the store contents. . . I like the stores staying the way they are I think.
    Blackraven
    Agreed... Think I'll have to check if I installed a part of it I shouldn't have:P
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Spungi, I think it's not possible to keep the store items in place ad have only loot randomized :(
    Seems like it :) Oh well, I might bump into it later ^^ Best thing this far with the mod, is finding "Gift of Peace" helmet...
    Blackraven