Skip to content

The good old times - BG1 specs

SedSed Member Posts: 790
A long long time ago...

Comments

• raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Seems that im not the only finnish here after all :D Järjestelmävaatimukset means system requirements if someone doesnt know that :D
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Swedish actually.. the first half of the heading ;)
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    well close enough.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Hey, i can run that.......

but lol, i remember the 4x cd roms, and if you mentioned 100% microsoft compatible mouse these days, people would go crazy trying to figure out what you mean. and lol, i have 4 gigs of ram........and a 1.5 terabit hdd, a 160 gig back up, and an old 40 gig. man, if i could take this comp 30 years back in time, i would be a billionaire now :)
    And remember the most important part.. "DOES NOT WORK IN DOS"
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    My bran new Asus would kick me in the nuts if I ever tried to install that
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Yeah, "DOES NOT WORK IN DOS" :)
    oh man, i miss dos.

lol, i use a ton of shortcut keys all the time on comps and people always wonder how i can remember what's what, but with dos, you get very fast on a keyboard and have lots of little things to always keep in mind. ehhhh, good times.
    I don't miss Windows 95! ;)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    win95 man! I loved win98 and sweared never to upgrade to xp:D
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    I think the most amusing thing about installing BG1 is, if you do a full install, it tells you you don't have enough free HD space, since it couldn't fathom anyone having over 4GB of free HD space at the time.

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    First played BG on my Bondi iMac, 233 MHz, 32 Meg ram, 2 meg VRAM , played great on the 1024x786 tube screen ;). ......though BG 2 had some issues, had to turn down graphic settings!

win95 man! I loved win98 and sweared never to upgrade to xp:D

i at least went to win2k pro first.....win me and vista will never be on my comp. i was configuring some basic settings/tweaks and crashed vista within 3 days of installing it. Uninstalled, put in my xp disk, and waited for 7, which i'm quite happy with :)
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2012
    When my Pentium3 733Mhz, 128Mb RAM, 32Mb Nvidia VGA and 20Gb hard disk was, in BG's options, above the maximum PC configuration.
    Post edited by Jarlaxle on
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I remember I had 64Mb of RAM and I was very exited when I bought another chip with 64Mb... Dear old times...
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I remember I had a 1mb Video Card and having to go out specifically to buy a 4mb Video card to play BG. Remember the first time installing that 4mb card and it blew me away.
    lol i remember my old tandy disk computer that had about 64 k of memory and everything ran off of disks. i was four, but when you typed in a command string about 74 chars long, it would play a 6 note string of sounds. Awww, good times.......
  • Dannen6272Dannen6272 Member Posts: 28
    @Bjjorick I know what you mean about DOS. I used to teach college computer classes and my students always wondered why I never used the mouse. It's because I know all the keyboard shortcuts from ye olden tymes, the mouse actually slows me down a bit.
    @dannen6272 yeah, i'm starting to feel old (in my 30s) but it seems like the world i grew up in is lost on this younger generation......*wonders where he's heard that before* well, as far as slowing you down, lol, at work whenever someone comes to me and needs a favor, the look on their face is always priceless. I remember a supervisor came to my office one day and asked me for something, and then went back to his desk. I guess the first thing he did was check to see if i started, and he called me and asked what happened. I was done alraedy and he said a human shouldn't move that fast.

Not bragging, just lots of video games and comp experience can do that to a person. :) I do love to mess with people though when i'm sitting around typing and look at them and carry on a convo while my fingers are going and doing their thing. People don't understand what you're capable of i guess? :P
    Heh, I have a colleague at work that always tells me to slow down my typing, because it makes him feel/look bad ;-)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Bjjorick said:

@dannen6272 yeah, i'm starting to feel old (in my 30s) but it seems like the world i grew up in is lost on this younger generation......*wonders where he's heard that before* well, as far as slowing you down, lol, at work whenever someone comes to me and needs a favor, the look on their face is always priceless. I remember a supervisor came to my office one day and asked me for something, and then went back to his desk. I guess the first thing he did was check to see if i started, and he called me and asked what happened. I was done alraedy and he said a human shouldn't move that fast.

Not bragging, just lots of video games and comp experience can do that to a person. :) I do love to mess with people though when i'm sitting around typing and look at them and carry on a convo while my fingers are going and doing their thing. People don't understand what you're capable of i guess? :P

I know the feeling. I'm a datamanager in a hospital and sometimes I get doctors or research people coming in asking me for data. I enjoy it when it's a simple query so that, while they explain what they want, I've already run it and can give them an immediate answer.
    The usual reply is "Err whut? Really?"

Of course, 'computer people' also have a reputation for being terribly slow and uncooperative so that might add to the surprise of quick and efficient work.
    @drugar i know what you mean about computer people, and typically pretty arrogent, but those aren't real computer people. Heh, usually i'm doing the same thing, running the report and getting the info ready as they tell me what they need, so that by the time they finish, i'll tell them that it's printing.

That's a real computer person. At least in my opinion.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    Kind of nostalgic seeing memory and disk space in megabytes :) And 200 Meghertz CPU...wow blazing fast in the day :D

Err computer people are temperamental? lol ok maybe but the truth is many tech oriented people suffer from asperger syndrome to one degree or another or so it would appear :) By the way Im Unix System Engineer so all you windows and mac people should go buy real computers ;)