Skip to content

SCS Strategy discussion

Hello all,

I have recently started another run with SCS through BGEE. I am relatively new to SCS but am very familiar to the game mechanics from playing many play throughs over the years in the vanilla version. Currently in this play thru charname is a Wild Mage and his party includes Dorn, Baeloth, Shar-Teel, and VIconia (dualed to thief at 6).

I have noticed in this play through in the SCS version there are a few tough fights (at least for my play style) and am wondering if anyone has encountered this with SCS. For me the most notable fights that have given me trouble are the bandit camp and Daevorn fight.

For the Bandit camp, a strategy that has worked for me includes setting off the alarm. Then I have my mages fire off a couple of webs to keep the amount of arrows coming at me more reasonable. My mages then proceed to fire of many fireballs or skull traps. Meanwhile a buffed up Dorn chops up the rest.

For Daevoran I have done this a couple of different ways, but this time I simply buffed Dorn to agro the mage, had web on the incoming mercenaries, and eventually his buffs wore off and Dorn chopped him to pieces.

I am curious what fights other people have had difficulties with SCS and the strategies they have used to overcome them. I am trying to step my bg play up and talking about different strategies might help me learn tactics that I have not thought of. Currently right now I can not even imagine running a solo char thru SCS, but I know people have done it. My personal goal would be able to get a team thru SCS smoother than I currently can.
Thnx. to those who respond!

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I agree that the Bandit Camp and Davaeorn are a lot harder.

At the Bandit Camp my strategy is usually to infiltrate via the Peldvale bandits, loot the camp, buff, get inside Tazok's tent (preferably invisibly), take on the Mage and then finish off the rest (best not to spread your entire party but attack one or two foes at a time), loot the tent, and leave the camp.
    Against Davaeorn it's crucial to avoid the Stinking Cloud - Web trap from activating. If it does trigger it shouldn't hit you. In the subsequent fight I focus on Davaeorn and try to kill him before the Battle Horrors. It seems that the incoming guards only appear if you kill the Battle Horrors first. In recent (no-reload) playthroughs I tend to use a green Protection from Magic scroll and take on Davaeorn with hit-and-run tactics. If you kill the Battle Horrors and let the guards come, then you'll find that they'll stick by Davaeorn's side. This will allow you to run off and heal when necessary and to use ranged attacks to thin the guards' ranks.

Other fights I find difficult include The Red Wizards of Thay, Silke, Drasus & Co, and a number of mages (Ragefast, Natasha, Sakul). SCS mages either have devastating damage-dealing magic (think triggered Magic Missiles, multiple Sunfires, Lightning Bolts, Fireballs) or mind/movement-affecting magic.
    Defensively you'll want good elemental protections against the former type of foes, and immunity-granting potions and abilities against the latter type. Potions (magic protection/blocking/protection, clarity, freedom and to a lesser extent fire ressistance, absorption) are worth spending loads of gold on.
    Offensively, the Priest spell Silence 15' Radius has worked wonders for me, especially when cast just out of your enemies' sight (which isn' cheesy imo if you properly scout your foes first). Arrows of Dispelling and dispelling magics are also great because it will occupy your enemies with rebuffing themselves rather than debilitating or hurting you.

In more general terms good scouting and getting as much XP as fast as possible will increase your chances.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    It will also offer you some GREAT chances to use all the different types of potions and wands, plan your actions and use strategy that was sort of lacking in the vanilla after you go so used to it!

I've been having a blast with this! :) It was the first time I've actually been killed off in about 11 years. :):)

Blackraven has covered the best strategies I can think of! :)
  • wizzywazzowizzywazzo Member Posts: 33
    Thnx for the reply Blackraven!

I was not aware that killing the Doom gaurds in the Davoren fight will trigger the following mob. Not killing them would seemingly make the fight much easier. My strategy was always to kill the doom guards first by using a potion of fiery burning ( the one that acts like azgabees scorcher), which actually pulses twice and do a tremendous amount of damage to enemies who are not fire immune. 1 of these potions can get the 2 doom guards to badly injured and 2 potions will kill them both.
  • wizzywazzowizzywazzo Member Posts: 33
    Last night I just ran into another difficult fight. I am referring to the Leaders of the Iron Throne Tower. In this fight there were simply to many fighters that was simply to much for my team to hold at by for too long. In addition pre buffed mage/ clerics with an archer was too much for me to dive in head on.

The way I beat this fight was to pre cast buffs on Baeloth and my wild mage. On top of being buffed they were hasted with boots of speed. Once on the top floor I had them cast 6 or 7 fire balls while kiting the enemy melee fighters and eating whatever the mages were throwing at them while protected with globe of invulnerability. Once a few of the fighters had died, I was able to send up a buffed Dorn and stealthed Shar-Teel to finish the job.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    You can also use summoned minions in there, or bait them out one by one through some very careful scouting. :) I trapped the main bedroom with Imoen and Coran and then lured them back one by one the first time I played through. The second time I used an enraged Minsc wearing a dozen potions and just released him on the enemy.