Skip to content

Hell Tests and Evil Characters

I took the hell tests as a Lawful Evil Blackguard. I took the good solution everytime, but my alignment did not change. Is this normal? I thought I was supposed to turn good.
I searched on the forums, as well as the interwebz, but I found no same question, and I apologize in advance if there are same questions and I was just too dumb to find them.

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    If I'm not much mistaken, do they not only turn you evil if you are good and choose evil options? They don't work both ways?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited July 2014
    When you choose the good path your aligment don't change. When you change evil path even one time your alignment change to chaotic evil.

Edit: you can find a similar discussion here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30757/go-ing-to-hell/p1
  • WraithguardWraithguard Member Posts: 20
    I saw that. I don't see if it includes a situation where you start as Evil(in my case Lawful Evil) then take only Good choices.
    It includes. Lawful evil remains LE with good choices, and becames CE with evil choice(s).
    On my last play through with a True Neutral char it retained my Law-axis alignment and turned me NE.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I though it always turned you NE
    They fix'd it in the EE i think.
    Yeah, @Wraithguard‌, you must be right. I have experiences only from the vanilla game, in EE i'm still in Bg1.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    lolien said:

Yeah, @Wraithguard‌, you must be right. I have experiences only from the vanilla game, in EE i'm still in Bg1.

In EE it changes you to Evil, but you keep your Law/Chaos alignment now, so LG characters become LE, CG characters CE, etc.
    Yeah. But why does my LE char stay LE when I make all the good choices?
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Inconsistency
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'm not sure taking the good path necessarily dictates an alignment change. Two items to consider--the trials are set up to tempt the PC to give in to their evil taint; not to make a case for redemption. Also, evil characters should be expected to take the outcomes that provides a greater advantage. Taking the good path in, say, the Selfish trial could be justified because you can't afford to lose the party member selected by the demon, or maybe it's faster to just ignore the challenge in the Pride trial. The inverse, justifying evil choices for a good character, is a little more difficult.

And yeah, the preservation of the lawful/chaos aspect of alignment is something altered by a ton of mods, including the BG2FP, which is how it made its way into BGIIEE. vBG2 just dumped everyone into NE, IIRC.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Its abit absurd that you can murder innocents left and right but if you get angry at the shade of the man that murdered your only family you are evil.

I get it, its a game mechanic. Which is fine, but the fluff behind it is absurd. The above quote and the stuff about its on another plane, in your soul yada yada.
    @CamDawg‌ I thought it was my a reflection of my character's inner self, made into a hellish place by his father's tainted essence, and that it was the time for me to choose if I was going to be a good or evil deity.

@CamDawg‌ I thought it was my a reflection of my character's inner self, made into a hellish place by his father's tainted essence, and that it was the time for me to choose if I was going to be a good or evil deity.

It is, but throughout the entire series the PC's struggles with the taint are typically structured so that he/she has to resist being evil instead of an outright affirmation of their goodness. I guess I look at it as you can choose to be evil or not evil, instead of choosing to be evil or good.

It's a subtle difference, but that's my take on it at least.

Yeah, I guess so. So I guess for my char I'll just take it as choosing being mainstream evil and hipster evil.

hipster evil

Heh. "My kind of evil is obscure. You've probably never heard of it."