Skip to content

Same-Sex Romance Without Mods - is it possible?

Please don't laugh. I'm posting here to ask technical questions. Now, I know that Hexxat likes girls and Dorn swings both ways. This isn't about that.

I had the slightly amusing notion one day that I could, plausibly, try to switch gender and give Anomen a taste of what men can do, or try it on with Jaheira, Aerie or Viconia as a girl. The thought of Anomen playing Knight in Shining Armour for another man or Aerie being knocked up by another woman... heh

Anyway, I came here to ask about the... technical details of the romances. I figured I'd bring a Girdle of Gender along so I could switch as the game required, but I feel the need to discuss the workings so I'm not constantly creating new games because I screwed up one tiny detail so...

Does the game constantly check to see if you're the right gender for the romance or are you home free once the appropriate variable reaches 2? How long does it take for each "LoveTalk" to crop up? If I were to import into Throne of Bhaal with the romance active and the wrong gender for the romance in question, would the game refuse to continue? Guess I'm just asking because I'd just as soon not suffer such a long wait for nothing.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited July 2014
    For the EE romances of they get a sex change then it'll switch. Neera had a wild surge that turned her into a guy for 24 hours and three days later she was hitting on my female CHARNAME. I don't know if this is true for the originals, but you should be able to get somewhere playing with the magic girdle.
    Edit: actually it might have been me that was turned into a guy. I'll go look.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    It was me. Here, this should shed some light on the subject:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31563/neera-seems-to-think-i-m-a-guy
  • HalfOrcBeastmasterHalfOrcBeastmaster Member Posts: 301
    I see. Might give it a try; now if they would just start talking to me, I'd maybe have more answers by now.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I kinda like that bug.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @meagloth It was you who turned into a guy ;)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I have also never seen so many unidentified items on a save before. It opened and my OCD. . . my head just fell off. . . it fell off Meagloth. . .
  • wuthering20wuthering20 Member Posts: 39
    I remember once read that the romance requirement was only checked when you start the game. For example, if you create a human male character then edit him to be an elf in Irenicus' dungeon, the romance mechanism still recognizes you as a human and you can romance Viconia with this elf character. I had done this in EE version before without any problem, and I think it works on gender case as well. So you might just enter BG2 with a female character, change her to male with EE Keeper, then have a gay romance with Anomen. Of course, he would address you as "my lady". :)
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    I've often used EE Keeper to change genders when I wanted to play a female but still wanted to see what the romance storylines with Viconia or Jaheira were like.

One interesting thing, though: I recently played BGEE1 as a male to have some of those "pre-romance" dialogues with Neera. Then I picked up Rasaad and thought, hey, I'll change to a female and pre-romance him. When that was over I switched back to a male. Then I used that same character in BGEE2 and noticed in EE Keeper that my gender was now, somehow, "summoned demon."

Er . . . . ?
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    There was a cursed girdle of change sex. Try wearing that? That aside... Why the hell should a game depict such themes? Especially since it is 13+, as they say? Straight admiration of nymphs and concubines is improper, while homo stuff should be considered normal and good, even to the point to add... ROMANCE OPTION ON THIS THEME!?? The hell is wrong with people, their moral compass, and their preferences, this side???
    @Demonoid_Limewire‌ As a gay guy myself, that's pretty offensive. Please watch your language, and have some respect for ALL people on this board.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The concubines topic was closed because it glorified and invited people to fantasize about raping and enslaving women. That is entirely different from a consensual same-sex relationship.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

homo stuff should be considered normal

Yes. It should be.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2014
    LiamEsler said:

@Demonoid_Limewire‌ As a gay guy myself, that's pretty offensive. Please watch your language, and have some respect for ALL people on this board.

Point taken. Yet, friend, you are barking up on the wrong tree. I respect everyone and their preferences. Even one of my real life friends belongs to this category. I simply do not like games showing that kind of stuff. You know, when me and my classmates first played BG1, we were 13 years old and in first class of middle school. Even someone who is homo, wouldn't like the idea of such things being displayed before the eyes of minors (mostly because they might end up being perceived as suggestive). And homos are VERY protective of minors, as i have been hearing, unless i hear wrong, of course... While a "normal" romance, would harm no one, suggestive or not (especially since in game, they were quite mild).
    Jalily said:

The concubines topic was closed because it glorified and invited people to fantasize about raping and enslaving women. That is entirely different from a consensual same-sex relationship.

First my topic was "accused" of glorifying prostitution (???). Then because "it glorified and invited people to fantasize about raping and enslaving women."?? To begin with, whatever was posted there, which was also a poll, had been directly drawn from inside the game itself. These events and situations were encountered, and some of them were also integrated into quests. No one glorified anything. No one invited anyone. I was merely asking the opinions of others, which situation out of them they liked more (as a possible roleplay theme). And all of that, of course, under the common sense, widely accepted, veil of fantasy. Nothing to do with real life situations. Which, of course, can never happen in real life, too. I am pretty amazed at how people confuse and mix fantasy and reality; this is troubling and somewhat dangerous. About the lock, no problems at all, he who has the power uses it as per the rules allow and demand. I simply did not know that talking about *certain* in game events is against the rules, while watching them in action, in game, perfectly normal. My bad, i won't repeat it. My problem was that to my words and discussion, there were applied meanings that i never put there myself, nothing else.

homo stuff should be considered normal

Yes. It should be.
    It should be, where and when this matters, and has the potential to make a difference, perhaps? Like real life, and society? Why do games, as of late, are deemed to MUST have those kinds of situations inside them? You know, in the World of Darkness MMO, they were going to add gay bars, too. Because the playerbase asked for it, and one of the developers was onto the same boat. Hell, wouldn't it be better to build a gay bar for real, rather than make one inside a game? And more useful? I don't know, maybe my perception or definition of common sense, might be flawed. I never claimed to be perfect, especially as a judge or anything along those lines...

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Demonoid_Limewire‌
    "I simply do not like games showing that kind of stuff."
    You can dislike it but it doesn't matter in the long run. Homosexualism existed in the past, it exists today and it will exist in the past. So, the topic shouldn't be ignored but rather spoke about. Knowledge leads to understanding and acceptance, while ignorance leads to antagonism. Homosexuals are people too and they have their rights like any other human being. Stop mentally living in middle age or Poland.
    edited July 2014
    @Demonoid_Limewire‌ "And homos are VERY protective of minors"? "normal romance"? And the statement that a heterosexual romance is cool, bro, but a homosexual one is harmful to kids?

If you think you are "respectful of everybody", perhaps you should think about the insinuations you just made about a) how being homosexual isn't normal, b) how gay people "are VERY protective" of minors (read: child molesters) and c) that *seeing* gay content regardless of the context is somehow harmful to children.

If you can't see what's wrong with those things and how they are disrespectful, this probably isn't the board for you.

I'm out. Cheers. Lock'd, sorry original poster. Start a new thread if you'd like. :)

Edit: And to clarify, your thread broke the board rules. This is a PG-13 space, and talking about sexual fantasies, very not cool.
This discussion has been closed.