Skip to content

*SPOILERS* Ideal side quest party for Throne of Bhaal EE?

*SPOILERS* ahead

(you have been warned)
I have been absolutely loving my first play through of BG2:EE and I managed to do all of the side quests for the new characters in Shadows of Amn. This play through is designed to be somewhat nonsensical with the party composition because this first play through of the enhanced edition is my first experience with Baldur's gate in over a decade and in lieu of that, I want to experience as much of the content as possible.

In Shadows of Amn I switched certain party members out at various times in order to go through all of their side quests but I read that in Throne of Bhaal the new characters need to stay in your party constantly in order to run through their mini-plots. Due to that, I'm having trouble deciding on a standard team for Throne of Bhaal. This is what I'm working with at the moment at the point where I haven't yet left Saradush:
1. Gorion's Ward: Cleric/Illusionist gnome
2. Neera: (Current romance NPC + extra content NPC so she is staying in for sure)
3. Imoen (I read that she has some great dialogue with Sarevok so I kept her in, but is that still the case if she wasn't the soul used to resurrect Sarevok?)
4. Anomen (only here so my greedy rambotastic main character doesn't have to play the role of support cleric for the rest of the group; not super committed to keeping him around)
5. Dorn
6. Sarevok (I never knew that it is possible to "redeem" him. What does this entail and how do you do it? I figured Sarevok and Dorn are so similar in personality that they would have some great dialogue during the game, is this the case?)

I don't need a fully balanced party in terms of combat (because my main character can take on most challenges solo), I'm more interested in accessing as much content as possible during this playthrough.

Main questions summarized:
1. Imoen, Sarevok, and Especially anomen can all be removed if need be but I was of the belief that Imoen and Sarevok have some compelling content if you keep them around in ToB, can anyone confirm this for me? (From my original playthroughs of the game under the old edition, I cant remember much about what they add to the story).

2. Can I switch Hexxat and Rasaad into the party temporarily in order to play through their story lines or would that prevent the side-plots from triggering or going through to completion?

Comments

• iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    To redeem Sarevok you have to answer his questions correctly in BG2, I believe you also have to be good or at least neutral aligned. If he has any reason at all to believe that you are a hypocrite his alignment will not change.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    For the maximum ToB experience, take Sarevok, Rasaad, Hexxat, Dorn and Neera; you don't need Imoen in the party to get Sarevok's content.
  • RilifaenRilifaen Member Posts: 8
    There's also a plenty of chat between your character and Imoen, since she's also Bhaalspawn and that has some effects on her. Sarevok talks with her even if a part of her soul wasn't used to revive him, but in both cases there's not much dialogue between them (unless you install some mods).
    In Throne of Bhaal, Imoen is a cool character to have with you (and Sarevok as well), since they are your siblings and Imoen was with you since the beginning of your journey, but they don't have any side-quests (in fact, no original character does).
    If this is your first ToB playthrough, take the characters you personally like, because there's going to be a written epilogue for them, saying what they did after the game ends, and it's also quite fun to read that. ToB is also much shorter then SoA, so you are able to replay it with a different set of characters later if you want. I would personally pack Imoen, Sarevok, Neera, Rasaad and kick Anomen because he's annoying. Besides, with Dorn and Sarevok, your party will have enough of fighters (even though Anomen's a fighter/cleric).