Skip to content

Tiax

Right now I have Jajeira Khalid, Minsc , Imoen and Neera. Is it worth getting rid of one to get Tiax? So far I have found Khalid and Jefeira pretty useless. Any suggestions?

Comments

• mewp12mewp12 Member Posts: 61
    Forgive the spellings my nails are wet.
    forget it he will not join my Paladin. Maybe next game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited July 2014
    You definitely won't *need* Tiax in your party, though he's likely to think otherwise. Your party looks to be reasonably balanced, even though I don't know what class your PC is.

The great thing about Tiax is that he can perform two supporting roles at the same time: buffing/healing as a Cleric, and locks/traps as a Thief. This opens up space in any party for another warrior or mage.

Speaking strictly from a power perspective: If I were to bring Tiax in, it would be for Imoen (Tiax could assume her thieving duties), not for Khalid or Jaheira who are decent Fighters. I also think it's nicer in BG1 to have two divine casters (e.g. Jaheira + Tiax) than two thieves (Imoen + Tiax).
    However if your main character is a warrior you might consider ditching Khalid and Jaheira, for Tiax and someone else. You'd hace divine spells thanks to Tiax and two Thieves, allowing you to focus on other thieving skills than the usual ones (e.g. set traps).

EDIT: Ninja'd, sucks being at work and not being able to finish a post in a few minutes time...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Tiax may not be an uber warrior, but his summon is pretty awesome all told; he can summon a ghast once per rest. Handy little fellow, but you might need to use some potions to improve his thieving if hes your only thief.

Cleric/thief is a powerhouse, Sanctuary is a heck of a boost. I personally find Jaheira a mediocore warrior, and a poor druid during BG1, so I would drop her. If Imoen is a pure thief, I might not grab Tiax in your case... but I would still have not raised Jaheira if she died so I could take Yeslick. He's MUCH better than Jaheira imo.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Tiax is one game too early for his own good. He wants to put on his Clerical buffs and a Staff of the Ram to gut any poor victim's back to outright remove them from existence. Then he rules as he does by using Sanctuary to repeat.
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    edited July 2014
    I've found that for evil parties Tiax is pretty much the most useful character in the game - gives you another sympathetic cleric AND the as much thief as you ever really need. A mod that moves him to some place that isn't totally stupid, starts everyone at the first level, and syncs XP gains is pretty essential, though.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I like Tiax.

I just completed a four party member game where I used Tiax as a frontline meleer, and he actually did okay in the role. I had his AC down to -5 in ankheg armor (you can get it lower than that IIRC with the gauntlets of dexterity). When he earned a prof I gave him one in Mace and he wielded the Stupifier. If you're not using the gauntlets of ogre power on anyone else, that will improve him as a meleer too.

I mainly just had him melee and cast cleric spells.

Imho, the best thing about Tiax is his Summon Ghast special ability. If he's in my party I use it a lot.
    Next tie through I will not do a Paladin. I only [picked him because he was a healer. I haven't played this game in years so I thought I would go an easy way. You knowthe usual suspects. Next time I will be more adventurous.