Skip to content

Shadowdancer leveling question

I am planning on playing a halfling shadowdancer in BGEE1, with an eye on taking her through the trilogy. To begin, is it better to get my trap and lock skills up to quality, and then dump into stealth skills from there, or to get stealth up and then concentrate on traps/etc...?

Second question - would it really be much of a hit to take advantage of the +1 to slings and take that as my ranged skill over shortbows, or are shortbows still a clear superior choice? I kind of like slings, some nice ones in 2, but don't want a gimped toon.

Thank you in advance for any advice/replies.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Get your stealth skills up as much as possible. Worst case scenario is that you have to take another thief in your party to handle traps and locks, but the first game basically throws thief NPCs at you so it shouldn't be too hard to find one :)

You can also buy a number of potions of master thievery (15 to be exact) from Erdane (the merchant outside of Durlag's Tower). Just in case you run into issues with specific traps or locks. There are other merchants that sell potions to boost your thief abilities but they tend to be only those first accessible in chapter 5.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Shortbows are probably going to be your better choice as a halfling. You just don't have the strength to be good with a sling (this is because one of the big benefits for slings is that they do strength damage). At least not yet. Plus the ammo for bows is better and more varied.
  • SionaSiona Member Posts: 79
    Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for!