Skip to content

What character should I start with?

sphexussphexus Member Posts: 11
Hi everybody! This is actually my first post ever to this forum. Just realised that the release of EE is going to happen pretty soon ja already started to plan my future adventure in the Sword Coast. I'll apologize if there's already masses of this kind of topics but thought that this might be the best way to get some advice.

So, I'm planning to roll either Blade or Sorcerer but haven't got a clue which one I should pick. I have played the first BG through twice, once with ranger and another time with a thief. BG2 I finished with an assassin and played about halfway with a kensai. I just realised that I haven't even once played properly with a caster character and now I wanna try something like that. Normal mages are pretty much a bore so I thought of sorcerer but I'm worried that it's gonna be too much of a killing machine in the end (I plan continuing the same char to BG2EE). The first levels of BG1 would be interesting though. After that I came to think about a bard. I have basicly ignored the whole class ever since I started playing BGs which makes it kinda interesting now. I have always thought that it sucks (at least in BG1) but it could be a nice combination of caster/dexterity kinda char. I enjoyed my assassin most and have always been very fond of rogue-like classes so that drives be towards bard. Especially when blade can be quite effective in the BG2 endgame I have understood.

And now I need your advice and opinions. :) Tell me about your experiences with both classes and suggest which could be more interesting to play. Never really liked the idea of dual/multi-classes so these are the winning ideas atm. Haven't played both games with a single character before so I'm looking forward to a solid story with one class that is fun to play with. I'm not really a starter with these games so a little challenge won't be bad.

Comments

• CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    If you are willing to look up good spell combos to take then sorcerer should be no problem and good fun. Sorcerers have a ton of spells to cast, but only a very limited selection, which is why the spell pics are important.

Blades can be demons in combat which is likely what you will be using them for, for most of BG1 given there are no armours (I think) that allow you to cast and use spells. By the end of the trilogy a Blade can be one of the most devastating kits in melee which is cool + a range of spells for utility.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Hi! I think a sorceror would be very fun. You have to think a lot about what spells are best, but get a LOT of flexibility with casting. Definitely a good choice. Make sure to have high INT for a big spell book of choices and high CHA for lots to cast. Good luck
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    It depends on the kind of gameplay you prefer - Sorcerers require a bit more planning and forethought since you're not engaging in direct melee combat, whereas Blades spend most of their time on the front lines with the shiniest weapons you can find. :)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Blades have many benefits, can use any weapon, cast spells, use wands and scrolls, and of course, have their special attacks. Very versatile.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Having played with Haer'Dalis and numerous mages in my party, I can say from experience that the Blade is a very interesting kit with many combat options. Between their spellcasting, bard's song, offensive spins and defensive spins they have many abilities at their diposal.

As @Space_hamster observes, their versatility allows them to fill whatever void exists in your party, enabling you to experiment freely with various NPCs.

It goes without saying that both classes are enjoyable when played correctly, but I merely feel that you'll gain a more unique experience playing with the Blade kit.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Blade is THE best kit in the game in my oppinion, all those spells that scale with lvl get better way faster than with regular mage/sorcerer.

Strategy with blade goes like this cast stoneskin cast haste find enemies cast skulltrap on them put offensive spin on and hit them to pieces (that hitting part is mostly non existent because skulltrap can deal devastating dmg)
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I would go with Blade.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    From what you said, you'd enjoy more a Blade than a Sorcerer.
  • sphexussphexus Member Posts: 11
    Thanks everybody! I think I'll be leaning more towards the Blade. It has the caster element I'm eager to try out but it also tickles nicely the part in me that's all about rogues in RPGs. Blade will be very versatile and fill more than one role in my planned party. And since there has always been more than one good mage laying around Faerun to take on the fullscale-spellslinger-role I think it's more interesting to roll a more 'exotic' character.

Now I'll just have to hold my horses till September before I can start wreaking havoc around the Sword Coast with my neutral evil half-elf blade and his merry band of evildoers.