Skip to content

Questions concerning damage display

So I'm thinking about picking up the enhanced edition games but was always put off by the board game 'feel' of the games. In particular, I'm talking about the way damage is expressed as dice rolls. I have no issue with understanding how they work and it's not like it's hard to do the maths on the fly, plus I know that all D&D games were based on the old boardgames that use dice, but I just don't like them. In fact I hate this way of diplaying damage; it breaks the immersion of the game when I think about a couple of fantasy geeks rolling dice :D

The only one of these 'old' D&D games I've played is Planescape Torment (modded for high resolution and stability fixes), which I loved for the deep storyline, and it displayed damage as, e.g. 1-6 instead of 1d6. I know that there were still dice rolls in the background mechanics, but aesthetically it much more pleasing to the eye (although, it's not like combat played a huge role in that game anyway). Other old non-D&D games that I've played like Diablo 2 also use this system of damage display so it's what I'm used to.

Do BG:EEs 1 + 2 have the option to change the damage display to something a bit more user-friendly? Or are there mods available to change the display? Hope someone can help me out.

Cheers.