Skip to content

Revival of my Dynamic Duo no-reload journal ( died )

HenkeBHenkeB Member Posts: 97
After leaving BG alone for a while I decided to restart a no-reload challenge with a team of two.

Il update the progress here.

My duo consists of CHARNAME : Henke a multiclass Stalker/Cleric allowed to use bows and katanas.
and his Sidekick Anilora a multiclass Fighter/Mage/Assassin

If a succeed I will keep on going for BG2.

Story so far:

The death of Gorion left the couple alone in the wild and without money or income. They made their way southwest after the ambush where the encountered a dangerous creature; Shoal the Neriad.
Using less then heroic tactis they bested her and came to the conclusion they where better of heading west, looking for civilisation.

Making their way to Berengost, they sold what little treasure they had found, paid for a night at the inn, using some smoothtalk to avoid a fight in the commonroom.
Waking up rested and with new hope they set out to find work and if the gods are willing a place to live.

As the hours pass by, with no luck in finding work, the couple see no option but to fall back on stealing.
Not happy about it but seeing no other way so survive they go on a burglary tour, stealing whay they can find. Gems, magic weapons and wands.

All hope of finding an honest job have not left them though, and they find themself at the temple of Berengost where the high cleric and mayor himself offers them a position as protectors of the small town, the payment will include a small house to live in just north of the town, it even has a view of the lake!
Anilora finds the offer too good to be true, but Henkes enthusiasm is blind to the mayors false smile, all they have to do to prove themselves is kill of a mad and dangerous mage east of the temple, including the mages pet basilisks.

Using ambush tactics and some unorthodox help from an undead friend, the mad Mutamin and his basilisks are defeated.
Any happiness they feel is short lived though. As they follow they mayors directions looking for their new home, and all they find is a sunken cottage well under water.

Furious they return to the mayor of Berengost and the confrontation soon gets out of control as they realise he never imagined they would survive facing Mutamin. The violence seems all but inevitable and both Henkes and Aniloras blades are stained with blood.
As tempers cool they find themselves surounded by bodies and all but panicks.
Leaving Beregost as fast as they can, they encounter sirenes, undead and hobgoblins in the wild. Surviving by claiming small treassures and running errands between nakshel and the friendly arm inn, even making their way as far north as Ulgoth´s Beard.

The deaths in Berengost is almost forgotten when one day they decide to lay a trap for the bandits traveling the highway, after all stealing whats already been stolen and clearing the area of some bandits cant be all bad?

Its never that simple though.
As they lay hidden waiting for the unsespecting bandits to trigger their trap, the spot and old man wearing red robes heading straight towards it!
Before they have time to shout a warning the old man sets of the trap, taking some serious damage.
It soon shown that its no ordinary old man theyve accidently ambushed as soon as he realises hes under attack he starts the the incatation of a spell directed at our two unfortunate heroes.
Panicking on as their deaths seems only a bold of lightning away they see no other option then to sling bullets at the wizard.
With luck they manage to interupt his spellcasting and kill the old man...... once again murderers......

Post edited by HenkeB on

Comments

• HenkeBHenkeB Member Posts: 97
    When the worst shock have passed, the couple starts to discuss their options.....

Somehow their attempts to live a somewhat ordinary and quite life always ends up in murder.... Intended or not their victims are still dead.
    If there is to be any hope for redemtion they must change their path now! Instead of seeking their own happiness and enough gold to create a life for themselves they must sart lending their talents in aid of others.

So they set out again in to the wilderness. Encountering a drow ranger fighing gnolls, they aid him in the battle, earning his gratitude and at last some better reputation. Despite the fact that Anilora cant help but lay her hands on the drows beutiful swords.

Further soutwest they go, fighting xvarts, gnolls and undead. Helping a dryad defend her tree and retrieving a not so healthy looking cat thats been missing.

Hering rumours of a woman beeing held captive in a gnoll fortress they continue even further west.
    In their search for the fortress they dispatch a duo of halfogres, holding claim to a bridge. They rout a band of xvarts from a cave system and in doing so encounter some sort of tome that looks very powerfull. They shall need to have it identified as soon as possible.

Gathering courage to launch and assault on the gnollfortress, they check their arrows and realise they havnt brought enough..... well they will have to make do....

The assault goes well, a wand filled with sleep spells and an amulet filled with fireballs and the gnolls offer little rescistance. The elf theyve held captive is rescued and sent on her way to find her bodyguard.

Where will the next stage of the journey lead them?

North is tempting, tracks left by ogres lead that way. And deadly as they may prove, Anliora just need a little more experience to be able to expand her spellbook.... And some extra gold is alwasy helpfull....

North it is.
    Some time later we find the couple in the Nakshel Inn, the commonroom is buzzing and villagers are buying them mugs of ale to hear them tell of their victories.

The audience have to lean forward to hear as they speak in hushed and anyone shuffling their chair to loudly get an angry glare, They speak of how they used stealth and cunning to ambush ogres and ogreberserkers.
    They tell of their encounter with a female warrior, and how they helped her defeat a band of gibberlings.
    They tell of their battle with the bandit Neville and his band of hobgoblins, and the battle with a polarbear.
    And the tale of how they crossed the bridge guarded by ogres and hobgoblin archers, fighing for every step, using blades, arrows and spell for every foot of that bridge, that tale they have to tell twice.

As the ale keeps flowing and and the cheers are getting louder, Henke and Anilora are starting to feel that maybe there is some hope for redemption.
    Ofcourse its inevitable that they the couple while telling thier tale are challanged to help investigate the Nakshel mine......

And the following morning we find them scouting the area and are preparing to head in to the mine.....
    What manor of beasts they will find down there they have no idea.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hey Henke, love it! Good to see you going again. i've also been on abit of a break but have just started a no-reload solo campaign myself. I like the storytelling, may Henke and Anilora prosper.
    (You're a bit low on Thieving skills I think, unless you'll have Anilora use invisibility for backstabs rather than stealth.)
    Thanks Blackraven. Yea Aniora relies on invisibility so far for when i have to use her for backstabs. Most of the time i use her as an archer.
    In to the mine they go, descending in to the dark they move past, miners and soldiers alike util they finaly encounter the enemy..... Kobolds!
    Henke would have prefered it to be an ogre hiding down there but Kobolds will have to do, as many and as well organized they are, setting up traps and chokepoints they have little to put up against our heroes magic and when thats not enough our heroes use their patented less then heroic tactics.
    The tactic they will avoid mentioning at the Inn later.....

The leader of the kobolds Mulahey falls easely enough. a few traps to guard their backs and then initiating the fight with backstabs to not take any chanses.
    Mulahey falls and any minions lucky enough to avoid the traps soon fall to blade and arrows.

Escaping the mine Henke and Anilora searches the surouning area looking for treasure. And finds a very interesting wand that seems to be able so summon monsters at their command.
    They also lay their hands on a ring that claims to protect its wearer from sunburns.
    A quick stop in nakshel to claim the reward for clearing out the kobolds and deal with yet another assasin by the name of Nimbul.

They soon move on back to Berangost, cleans out an infestation of spiders.
    Keep moving north to Friendly arm in and past that to give Ankheg hunting a go.

Ankhegs though dangerous falls pretty easy to sleep and command spells and the couple heavyely loaded with ankheg shells move back to Beregost to try and make a fortune. Apperently Ankheg have come in to high fashion in the little town.
    At the same time they arrive in Beregost a weid rumour starts to go around the town... that had the mayor of Berengost worn and Ankheg plate he would never have been so easely overcome..... by whoever it was that killed him.....

Prices on Ankheg skyrocket and our heroes soon have enough gold to invest in a fansy new robe for Anilora.

Next on their journy will be the flesh golem cave to retrieve the tome from there, quite scary. More then once ive had no-reload games end there or had to run away from there.
    Dragging their feet a bit before facing the fleshgolems. Henke and Anilora travel the surrounding areas for awhile. Picking up a few odd jobs here and there. Like helping Melincamp back to his master and dechickenate him.
    Pick up some usefull items like a scroll of cloudkill and a nice pair of bracers for Anilora, that increases her aim with the bow even further.

When its finaly time to enter the dreaded cave...... I needent have worried, hiding behind summoned gnolls and wolfs, taking down the golems with enchanded and poisonous arrows is easy enough. The potions to lower AC and to ward of crushing attacks that Henke held ready just in case are never needed.

Strenghtened by their victory the heroes return to Beregost to face down Tranzig.
    One backstab from Anilora is all it takes and the not so powerfall mage falls, leaving clues for where the heroes should head next.
    -The bandit camp.
    Stopping at the Friendly Arm Inn to rest up and pick out what spells to prepare for an all out frontal assault on a bandit camp..... For the two heroes the choice was obious... Invisibility!

Having rested and prapaired their spells they set out to face the bandits. Directions given by Tranzig are easy to follow and soon they find the camp.
    Using invisibility to sneak past dangerous looking archers they head for the place most likely to hold any aswers, the big tent in the middle.

The tent was not empty however and a fight is unavoidable.

Initiating the fight with backstabbing the two dangerous foes and following that up with holy smite and skull trap the fight is soon over.

Gaining valuble information from a prisoner held by the bandits they know their next target.
    They also find some usefull potions and a very nice longbow for Anilora.
    The no-reload part is over.

Moving out of the second part of cloakwood the team got ambushed by two wyverns. summoning some monsters to help, one of them fell. But Henke got poisoned even though I had stocked up on intidotes and potions of health Henke couldnt drink them fast enough...... :(

The duo did very well up untill now and they deserve to continue their adventure. For now this journal is over thoguh.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Ouch, I'm so sorry. I always run from the Cloakwood ambushes and keep a potion of invisibility at the ready in case I get webbed... I hope your next Henke will do better!