Skip to content

Finding a Voice Actor For Your Mod

DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
edited August 2014 in General Modding
So I've been thinking a bit... well, I'll let my audio file do the talking.

For those who need to stay hushed and have not the desire to listen to a mp3 within a zip file (since I can't upload it directly,) let me say the short of it: mods need voices. Silent mods drive me batty, but poorly voiced ones hurt me and you alike.

There are however, talented voices waiting to be heard. You may not know where to find them unless you go to like voiceactingalliance.com, but those people probably have the disadvantage of not knowing what's going on in the world they're immersing within.

Finding voices here is a way to snag those who get the game world and will find it easier to maneuver, all while mastering inflection and providing a new chance for new talents to be heard.

I offer this to all able voiced peoples... I hope I'm allowed to do this. I'm guessing this is the right board to post this as it pertains to modding in general rather than any specific game.

I hope this idea is well received.
Post edited by Dazzu on
Illustair

Comments

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    ... Hmmm, I'd have thought more modders would've needed willing voice actors. There must be a lull in activity. That's sad, but after a calm there's sure to be an influx I'm sure.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Dazzu It could be that your voice just isn't suitable for their characters. :)

VO is actually a pretty painful, time-consuming thing to add to a mod, too.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    I thought it was pretty good actually, heavy on the ham but i get the impression that's what you were going for :)
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I don't want this to fall by the wayside. There are certainly people well honed on their voice and mods looking for voices. I hope to help unite these people, not just further my own voicing needs.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Sounds very professional, hope to hear more of you in mods like SCS. I'm giving a shout out to @POWERFOOL who plans to voice unvoiced dialogue in the game, but don't know where to start.
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    So take a cue from this open source project... post up the lines you want voiced and solicit volunteers.

http://www.moddb.com/games/fs2-open/news/voice-acting-auditions-open
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    This is interesting, actually. I always figured there were some voices that would be within my "range" to perform (such as the necromancer I posted in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21036/your-ideas-on-new-npcs#latest ), but obviously I cannot voice female characters so there are practical limits to what I could mod in (and that's assuming I ever learn how to make mods).

Of course, I figure finding a male voice to volunteer for Baldur's Gate isn't going to be as difficult as finding a female voice actor, so my modest abilities probably aren't in demand. Besides, the only microphone I have came with a $7 headset... if I was serious about recording sound samples I would want to do better than that.