Skip to content

In general, is a Thief required?

2»

Comments

• molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    I believe there is one in the Planar Sphere with this insta-kill-power-word, which can only be resisted by high enough hit points. I had to sleep and switch items with my first and last solo sorcerer for that stupid thing.
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    molloy said:

I believe there is one in the Planar Sphere with this insta-kill-power-word, which can only be resisted by high enough hit points. I had to sleep and switch items with my first and last solo sorcerer for that stupid thing.

Surely SI:Conjuration, Spell Deflection/Turning or Spell Trap would take care of that?

I never play with traps these days, but I seem to recall there being only a single insta-death trap namely a Finger of Death, but it's been years, so I may be remembering that incorrectly.
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    TJ_Hooker said:

I think there might be some insta-kill-type traps in BG2 that don't allow saves though.

There are at least two Maze traps which don't allow a save. One in the Bridge District where you can get the Berserker Horn, and there's at least one in Watcher's Keep on the Machine level -- it killed a very promising solo no-reload character of mine who could have defended against it if only her aura had been clear. Maze traps do allow an MR check, so 2xPotion of Magic Protection would do the trick for that. (Of course there are only 6 or so in the entire game, unmodded.)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    No you do not need a thief. However thieves are quite badass.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

TJ_Hooker said:

I think there might be some insta-kill-type traps in BG2 that don't allow saves though.

There are at least two Maze traps which don't allow a save. One in the Bridge District where you can get the Berserker Horn, and there's at least one in Watcher's Keep on the Machine level -- it killed a very promising solo no-reload character of mine who could have defended against it if only her aura had been clear. Maze traps do allow an MR check, so 2xPotion of Magic Protection would do the trick for that. (Of course there are only 6 or so in the entire game, unmodded.)
    There is one HIGH damage trap in the Asylum that doesn't offer a save that I am aware of. it slams you (and the summonable you rode in on) all the way back to next Thursday. I don't think Magic resistance will help with that one.
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    Well, I've solo'd the game with a blade, assassin, necromancer, archer and cleric.

Can't say I missed out with the archer and cleric.
    Maybe a few potions, but withthe strenght boosts you can attain throughout the game, coupled with the priest spell str buffs, breaking open doors and chests should'nt pose that much of a problem.

Beware for maze traps though.
  • MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    Alright, so pretty much as long as there isn't anything that a solo vanilla Druid wouldn't cry to miss out on inside one of these locked chests / behind a locked door. Then I think I will do just fine.

Might have to reload a few times on those nasty traps, but I hope the priest type buffs my druid will have by then will help me to make it through.

Awesome discussion guys. I am really enjoying all the tips and info.
  • Thief_Of_NavarreThief_Of_Navarre Member Posts: 26
    Fighter/Mage/Thief. Your good at everything because of the high xp cap and you never have to worry about anything being out of your reach including any type of class/race/alignment specific items because of the thief HLA