Skip to content

I have... somehow broken descriptions.

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited July 2014 in General Modding
I also have no idea where I'm meant to post this, so here it is. In the course of my work on my NPC mod, I have somehow made all effect descriptions disappear. It's not the blank kind either. The item stories are still there, but the combat and equipped effects are blank. They are still in the dialog.tlk file, because I can see them in Infinity Explorer and DLTCEP, but not in game or in EEKeeper.

This has actually led my game to crash whenever I identify items or even create a character.

I'm 99% sure something I did with DLTCEP caused this, but I haven't the foggiest why or how to fix it.

Compare this:

With this:

I am about ready to bear it and reinstall the game, but I'm hoping there's some way to resolve it.

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Artemius_I‌ It's always a good idea to do a complete uninstall, delete all files, and then reinstall every now and then while modding. I'd suggest doing that. :)
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Did you notice the bad characters before "5% chance" and "Each successful hit" ? They don't look like those I see in DLTCEP:
    –
    In Infinity Explorer, the third one is just as black square instead. But in any case, they look as if they had been damaged.

This may look different on your side because you're from a different country where Windows uses a different code page. In principle, what I get should be the same for languages such as english, french, spanish, german, italian and other Western European countries.

Did you change or add any text with DLTCEP? Which version of DLTCEP are you using?

In DLTCEP (checked with 7.6g), use Tools -> Edit strings and check how your text (84062) is displayed. In that editor, special UTF8 characters are properly displayed, so the character should look like "-". If it doesn't that means the text has been damaged and that could be the reason why the game doesn't display that part.