Skip to content

Any mod available that reduces experience gain?

FaenstFaenst Member Posts: 5

I'm looking for a mod that reduces experience gain.

Why? - you might ask. Well, I want to play the saga with 3 or 4 self-made characters in a faux multiplayer game. Creating all characters yourself makes your party a lot stronger, but if they also get experience for 6, the games get boring

Only thing I've been able to find is Ding0 Experience Fixer (aka defjam), but is this EE compatible?

Or is there another mod that reduces XP gain?

Comments

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I just tried it on BG2EE, it will work as long as you update the weidu executable. Just one hiccup with quest xp reduction component that will choke on a broken script that you want to fix before installing (SARVIE01.BCS, the Allegiance() trigger has a wrong 2nd parameter, not sure what it should be, probably ENEMY)
  • FaenstFaenst Member Posts: 5

Okay, that sounds sort of promissing...

...but I really know nothing bout modding. All I know about weidu.exe is that it exists and that is apparently important for modding.

How do I update weidu.exe?

How do I fix this broken script?
    edited August 2014
    Download latest version of WeiDU here : http://www.weidu.org/main.html#weidu.
    From this archive you just need the weidu.exe file which you rename to setup-xpmod.exe to overwrite the mod executable in game directory.

Unzip the attached file into your override for "fixed" script.

EDIT : Note that this is for BG2EE btw, I haven't tried it on BGEE
    Post edited by lansounet on

Thank you.

I get the first part, but not the second. What is my override? Is override a folder?

I thought I read somewhere that Ding0 was compatible with the original BG1, but the mod does not claim this. If I do try it on BG1EE and it doesnt work and produces errors, what do I do to restore my BG1EE?
    Yes override is a folder that should be next to music/movies/lang/etc.... If not you can create it.

I managed to install most components on BGEE; though again quest xp reduction component couldn't be installed because the install attempts to modify a file that is only used in BG2. Same procedure, unzip attached file in override of BGEE and install should be fine. (Ignore starting xp reduction components when installing on BG1EE of course)

All of this seems to work! Thank you so much.

75% XP gains, together with the SCS mod, should make for a bit of a challenge.

I've only been playing with the mod installed for a couple of minutes now. Seems that xp gained from most creatures (bear, giant spider, gibberling) is reduced, but not all (hamadryad). Which is fine for me. But I was wondering, could it be that the mod only reduces experiences gained from creatures that also exist in BG2? My knowledge of the games is not such that I know for each creature type in which of the 2 games they can be found...

Thx again, lansounet.
    The mod reduces xp value of all creature files undiscriminately so hamadryads should be included as well. Their base xp value is 650, is that what you're seeing after installing the mod?

Maybe you loaded a savegame from prior to installing the mod and the creature file is already stored in that savegame, at least I believe that's how it works.

I think you are right, it was a savegame. All creatures in the new game I started have decreased xp values.

Perhaps more ppl are interested in this updated version of ding0? Perhaps you could have it added to the list of BGEE mods....
  • keeperkeeper Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2014
    Recently started a solo game and this mod awesome for me ^^ ty
    Post edited by keeper on