Skip to content

Planescape: Torment - Deionarra [SPOILER for Planescape:Torment]

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Deionarra felt in love with him, and then he used her as a tool. I don't want to ruin your game so I won't say anything more, but if you want to know more you can ask me (note: not recommended).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    The Practical Incarnation was an über-bastard, and Deionarra was just one more piece on his chessboard. I'm not sure if there's much more to say about their relationship.

I remember I used to think that the Practical Incarnation was neutral and the Paranoid Incarnation evil, but in retrospect it might be the other way around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    And that's why PST is THE best game I ever played. All these emotions, flowing through the screen while you play it. Pricesless.
    The sadness cause of the fate of Deionarra.
    The awe cause of the Nameless One's practical incarnation genius plot - I thought back then "WTH, who could possibly think up something as twisted as that!?"
    The pain of a living hell Ignus lived in - I almost felt my skin crackles.
    Disappointment when Fall-from-Grace won't let me touch her diary - I thought was something like "!@!$#$!". Or worse.
    The thrill of revealing a secret of Zerthimon Circle - the story is just amazing.
    The frustration while trying to escape Modron Cube.
    Major WTF, while receiving INSANE Xp amount after opening the bronze sphere.
    The joy of seeing the first cinematic, while casting high level spell.
    Utmost surprise that one can end the game without fighting with Transcendent One.

The game is just one endless wonder.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Shandyr‌ I thought you were still playing :p
    Well, I played the game a long while ago and don't remember much. The Practical Incarnation was, after the Incarnation you play in the game, the one that was the closest to get his mortality back. He was aware of what he was doing was evil, or didn't had feelings of empathy at all (could be both, too, since he's the most cynical incarnation).

He also used Xacarias in the same way, a blind archer whom died at the hands of the Shadows in the Fortress of Regrets. His body is in the Mortuary as a Zombie (IIRC it was the Zombie that "wasn't woking correctly" that is mentioned once), and you can get his heart and destroy it for +1 to DEX.

Also, even if the Practical Incarnation was evil, his purposes were the same as the NO's, regain his mortality so he could let the Planes live, since every time he died, a living creature in the Planes died, and that was going to continue eternally (since he is immortal), destroying life in the Planes.

I think I have to replay PS:T, I don't remember half of the things in the game now :/
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've never played PS:T. I've got it on my computer and fully modded with the usual recommendations. (Widescreen, fonts, and some kind of fix patch.) I've just not been able to get into the idea of devoting several weeks of gaming to an interactive novel with very little combat.

I really need to "bite the bullet" and just do it some day, so I can participate in discussions like this. :)
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458

I've never played PS:T. I've got it on my computer and fully modded with the usual recommendations. (Widescreen, fonts, and some kind of fix patch.) I've just not been able to get into the idea of devoting several weeks of gaming to an interactive novel with very little combat.

I really need to "bite the bullet" and just do it some day, so I can participate in discussions like this. :)

Based on some of the discussions we've had on this forum, I think PS:T would be well suited to your tastes. There actually is quite a bit of combat, but it's definitely not on par with the BG series in respect to strategic planning. Story-wise, however, it is by far one of the best games I have ever played (possibly the very best).
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    There's also a sensory stone in the Sensate guildhouse where you experience a conversation between the Practical Incarnation and Deionarra. It's very well written as you get to experience Deionarra's side of the story through the stone, and the Practical Incarnation's side of the story through a memory.

The Practical Incarnation was a very nasty piece of work. My impression was that he wasn't trying to regain his mortality to let the planes live - rather he was simply driven to understand who he was and what had happened to him.

And for all the Practical Incarnation's evil, the Incarnation you play in the game relies a huge amount on information passed down by the Practical Incarnation.