Skip to content

Berserk and Chaotic Commands - WAI?

I dunno if this is a bug or not, because in all the years since BG2 came out, I have had minsc go berserk on his own due to damage only a few times during first playthrough and have purposefully chosen to berserk him like twice - the results were so bad, I've never taken the chance again.

Has "Chaotic Commands" always allowed Minsc to berserk and remain totally in player control? He got all the benefits of Berserk, but I could control him nonetheless. Not complaining, but I don't recall this being the case.

If anyone's interested in how I came about this (considering I am normally loath to zerk him):
Last night, the conditions on the ground were thus:

2 Members (both charname and our only arcane caster at the time-Jan) missing 2-3 levels a piece due to an unfortunate case of too much testosterone on behalf of the player and too little preparation before engaging a certain guild war random event outside the crooked crane.

Player is too impatient to go find a temple, so walks into the Inn to see how many Restoration scrolls the party has - none - because I'd just dumped the contents of my scroll cases in WK so I could come back and stea... err, buy more.

Forgetting completely what's behind the pink door that popped up, I waltz in... "You should not have come to ..." PAUSE!

dammit

Wand of Monster Summoning in front of the opponent (distraction), then Anomen and Jaheira popped Chaotic Commands on charname, minsc, and themselves (don't need them all charmed). Charname is a Swashbuckler and his level-challenged-ness means he's not about to try to hit that thing. Jan has like "Clear Earwax" memorized... or something equally worthless.

The previous fight meant all other spells for any casters that were in the slightest bit useful were gone.

Walked my party out the door into the Inn so I could think straight (besides, it was starting to Abi Dalzem in there, and we were without our galoshes +1).

I am SO refusing to reload unless we take massive casualties. The most massive party member was Minsc, and he was dressed fairly casually - so he was volunteered.

Push him in the secret room, zerk, icon appeared on his portrait, stats modified, he does his little speech and - nothing... I could still move him around, manipulate his inventory (boo excepted), change weapons, drink, smoke, whatever I wanted.

Maze -> Minsc... he continued to pick his nose perfectly oblivious. Oh, it's on now!

Needless to say just a couple health potions later, he emerged victorious.

Well, not really "emerged" because I left him in there by himself a few minutes until he de-zerked, because I didn't want to chance him clearing out the inn or my party.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    From my testing just now it didn't protect Minsc from the berserk effect. He may normally take a bit of time to go berserk (in the sense of losing control) however.