Skip to content

Complete Noob, dltcep setup?

I haven't played the Baldur's Gate series in years, since before there were mods. Back when I played it, the extent of modding was IEEP being used to add funky arms and armor. Half the fun was the descriptions.

I know, dark days. The stuff people make nowadays is amazing!

Anywho, I wanted to play around with some of those ancient item's, like from places like Arundor's Abode(can't believe that website still exists). I can't seem to figure out how to set up the DLTCEP, though.

For example, trying BG2 Enhanced now. I go to setup, select BG2 + ToB, find the chitin.key that is in Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate ii enhanced edition\ , and I find the bg2effects.dat that are in C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamBG IE MOD Tools\DLTCEP\ . Click Add Setup, Save and Back.

On turning it on, it can't find dialog.tlk in C:Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate ii enhanced edition\ , ignoring string references. Everything is "unknown."

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid. Can someone walk through a poor fool like me?

Comments

• So_LoWSo_LoW Member Posts: 62
    Copy dialog.tlk from [main game folder]/lang/en_US to the main folder (C:Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate ii enhanced edition\) and be sure to uncheck read only flag in dltcep settings :) remember to copy dialog.tlk if u install any mod coz this one in the main folder wont change
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    You shouldn't copy the dialog.tlk anywhere. The latest DLTCEP version (currently v7.6g) supports BG(2)EE just fine.

Setting up DLTCEP is a bit tricky. To configure DLTCEP for BG2EE:
    - Click on "Setup" to open the configuration dialog
    - Select the appropriate game type from the top right list (BG[2]EE in this case)
    - Specify the location of the chitin.key (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\chitin.key)
    - Specify the location of the IEEP effect description (should be BG2Effects.dat in the DLTCEP installation folder)
    - Remove the tick from the "Read only" checkbox on the right
    - Click on "Set WeiDU Options" to open another dialog
        - Select the appropriate game language (BG2EE provides only en_US)
        - Optionally, specify the location of your WeiDU.exe
        - Close this dialog
    - Optionally, inspect the settings under "Set check options" and "Set edit options", but the defaults should be fine
    - Enter a descriptive setup name into the top left field and click on "Add setup"
    - Finally, click on "Save & Back"

If you have more specific question, you can ask them in the DLTCEP section of the G3 forum.
  • So_LoWSo_LoW Member Posts: 62
    Oh didn't see BGEE gametype in the list... must have missed it -.- anyway ty argent for this post, now everythin is working :)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    argent77 said:

You shouldn't copy the dialog.tlk anywhere. The latest DLTCEP version (currently v7.6g) supports BG(2)EE just fine.

It doesn't on my machine, I still have to copy the dialog.tlk file over. There's really no harm in doing so, provided you remember to copy it back to the Lang folder after making any changes.

And to the OP, you might also want to have a look at Near Infinity. Overall it's a much better editor than DLTCEP, though sometimes I still refer to that one as well. Less and less all the time though, as I get to know Near Infinity better.

• GregorIIGregorII Member Posts: 14
    Just posting this for anyone who has the same issue: when I opened DLTCEP, the window was slightly shrunken, and the Setup button was hidden. Once I enlarged the window, I could see the Setup button, and was able to follow argent77's instructions above.