Skip to content

Any movement toward fixing BG2EE MP?

Hi, everyone. My online gaming buddies and I bought BG2EE on Steam back in November 2013 - we played BG1EE through after the 1.2 patch came out and were set to continue on into BG2. Unfortunately we (4 of us) found the issue I'm sure you're all aware of - that MP games crash on each chapter-transition. This means that in order to play together the non-hosting players have to go and watch whatever cutscene they've missed on Youtube and then rejoin - which is just daft, of course.

So we left off for a while - we still have our end-save for BG1EE ready to try again whenever it can be done. We're in mid-August of 2014 - I've heard no sign of it having been fixed. There's a sticky-thread titled "BGII:EE Multiplayer Notes: PLEASE READ!" which mentions:

"There are still some kinks to be worked out in the multiplayer system in BG:EE and BGII:EE. There are a couple of things people can do to avoid issues, however, so please read the below:

1. Ensure the hosts assigns all players to himself before chapter transitions and text screen changes.
2. Be patient: transitions can be slow. Wait. Players can rejoin after these events.
3. CTRL+Y is currently only working for the host. Other cheats work fine if enabled.

These issues will be fixed soon, but in the meantime, make sure to do the above."

However this is dated November 2013 - i.e. when the game came out. We tried the suggestion in "1." back when we tried to play the game all that time ago, and it made no difference.

I was just wondering:

Has there been any movement toward a fix?

What's the actual status of things here?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The 1.3 patch will tremendously improve things. Keep an eye on this forum for coming details.
  • DemonstrativeDemonstrative Member Posts: 5
    The 1.3 patch is for BG2EE? I thought it was for BG1EE.
    There'll be a 1.3 patch for each. Already multiplayer is looking much better in BG:EE, so the improvements will carry over to BGII:EE--and then there are some additional improvements being made there that are specific to BGII:EE.
    On this issue, i.e. MP crashes on chapter-transitions and the party not seeing the cutscenes so that they have to go off to Youtube to watch them - now that the Beta is underway, can anyone inform me if this has been fixed?

I read the Release Notes .pdf from the stickied thread, but there is no mention of these issues having been fixed; either in Part 9 (Multiplayer) or anywhere else in the .pdf that I could see.
    Why not try it out for yourself? The beta code for Steam is "IWantToTestBGII".
    I'd need to reassemble my RPG gaming-buddies from a year ago to do that, and don't want to until I know it's fixed. It was pretty frustrating for everyone in Dec 2013, so it would be rather worse now. Any idea if it works now?
    Multiplayer is working much better than before, yes. A lot of the back-end improvements were inherited from IWD:EE and then further improved for BGII:EE.
    Reassembled by RPG gaming-buddies from a year ago and have tried again. The game survived a chapter-transition, which is good - that's an improvement. Unfortunately:

a) The game crashed on every attempt to load a previous saved game; and

b) On a fade-to-black when going into a dream-sequence upon resting it simply froze on the black screen, with the audio from the tavern looped in the background, for us all.

Are these known issues and are there known fixes?
  • AlzasAlzas Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

I am facing the same issue as Demonstrative concerning the loading of multiplayer games. Is there any news on this bug? Is there any known solution or workaround?

Thanks in advance