Skip to content

Steam version crashes on start up

Bought BGII on steam. Installed and run. Get a crash report. Looked problem on the internet for a solution. The only thing I came across was a change to my DEP settings, which I changed as suggested...but still no luck. I contacted Beemdog and they directed me here.

My machine is an Intel i7 laptop (4 cores), 6Gb ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 5870.
magetite

Comments

• stormcrow_wolfstormcrow_wolf Member Posts: 4

Bought BGII on steam. Installed and run. Get a crash report. Looked problem on the internet for a solution. The only thing I came across was a change to my DEP settings, which I changed as suggested...but still no luck. I contacted Beemdog and they directed me here.

My machine is an Intel i7 laptop (4 cores), 6Gb ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 5870.

I have a similar setup, only mine is an i5 quad with a AMD 7850. It's not a hardware or driver problem, unless you have one of those laptops with dual graphics systems (Intel for desktop, AMD/NVIDIA for 3D).

The problem is the original code was never designed to run in a (more) secure modern environment so I'd guess it has some nasty memory management code. DEP meaning you can't Execute machine code stored in areas marked as non-executable memory.

Now... let's not even talk about all the bugs from the original game still in the EE. >.>
    magetite