Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We need your feedback on the new forum text editor switch.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Early Access Game recommendation: Shadows Heretic Kingdoms

Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 826
I'd like to recommend this game, a hidden gem I discovered:
[url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/256030/]Shadows - Heretic Kingdoms[/url]

It's a little Early Access gem, sequel of Kult, Heretic Kingdoms, a game famous for being fun but for having also a tricky system.

It has a very unique plot in an unique universe, you are a Demon of the World of Dreams, summoned by a mage and warned of an unknown danger that could destroy everything, then unleashed. it has a very unique party system made of reanimated souls as "puppets".

I personally see in it the potential to be the new cross between Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment.

The pros:
-exceptional Voice Acting
-unique story, not boring, and definitely captivating
-promised full moddability, not like Skyrim, which was full of hardcoded things
-15 characters each own with their unique story (final version), right now there are 4 and, honestly, I see that until now they have kept their promise
-deep combat mechanics, extensible by the use of mods. an ARPG which differentiates between "miss" and "block" is a win-win.
-vast areas: tested them, and the full world is supposed to be even bigger, despite not being an open-world like TES. it's similar to the first Baldur's gate
-VERY pretty graphical style. it's very nice and detailed, and the places you visit are all unique and flavorful.
-Uses Ogre3D, a very good engine, and open-source to boot.
-Unique setting, which is not boring and has a very interesting backstory.
-Developers are nice and, while they do not ALWAYS answer, at least they read contributions. Sometimes they even agree,

The cons:
-It's an Early Access. those who dislike it know. I don't, but others do.
-annoying skill system: no matter how hard I have told the developers, they still have not changed it. It is very similar to League of Legends, which I personally find superbly annoying and unrewarding, others might love it.
-Static world: do not expect a dynamic world like Skyrim, despite its bugginess. This could be improved at a later relase though.
-No place for thieves: no stealth\lockpick\thievery mechanics, confirmed at least for the time being.

If you get it, let me know please :) and I hope to see you on the Steam boards.
Post freely if you have questions, too.

And vote for the BG Beta patch!