Skip to content

Party member scripts don't stick (multiplayer)

Expected Behavior:
Upon changing a party member's AI script, said script will remain in force until such time as it is changed again.

Observed Behavior:
The newly selected script will remain in force only until the game is reloaded, or a new area is entered. At that time, the party member whose script was changed will revert to its previous setting. This will occur even if the game is saved multiple times after changing the script.

Specifics:
  • Multiplayer game with two players, both using Windows. Either player can change the scripts, and they will still revert back to their previous setting.
  • Issue does not occur during single player games on same system.
  • Branwen, specifically, will revert from any chosen script to Cleric Passive.
  • Imoen, specifically, will revert from any chosen script to Custom (Default).
  • One CHARNAME exhibited behavior identical to Imoen. Other CHARNAME and NPCs not tested at this time.
  • Scripts were previously changeable during this multiplayer campaign (which is how Branwen got to Cleric Passive in the first place), but have ceased to be changeable as of the last play session.
Commentary:
I find it difficult to believe that this is truly a bug. It seems like somebody else would have encountered it and written it up by now if it were. However, I am at a loss as to how to resolve the issue. I have not tried scrapping that multiplayer game and starting over from scratch, which, obviously, my partner and I are loathe to do.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Does this happen to the Host, to both or just to the Joining Ones?
    Also seems like a good idea to test this in the beta (i'll do so with @Tresset‌ if he wants to…), since they fixed lots of stuff related to MP.
  • Displaced_DuckDisplaced_Duck Member Posts: 5
    It affects both the host and the joining player.
  • ItchyDani3lItchyDani3l Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2014
    This is incorrect. I use scripts heavily in multiplayer and they all work fine, both as host and as guest.

If your script is not working, make sure the "Party AI" button (little lantern) is clicked. The "A" key on the keyboard is the shortcut for this button, so if you accidentally push it, your scripts will all stop running.

I do not often use the NPC's included in the game, so maybe the problem you are experiencing is with them only, but even then I haven't noticed.

Also, if you reload a saved game, the script the character had at the time will be the one it has.
    Yes this means each time you die and have to reload, you will have to change the script (assuming you had the wrong script equipped at the time of that save)

I recommend that, if you use steam, to use the "Verify Game Cache" tool included with steam. It might just be something wrong with your files.
  • Displaced_DuckDisplaced_Duck Member Posts: 5
    I'm not sure how to begin responding to that. It is not an issue of the AI being turned off, it is an issue of the scripts changing without human input.

Let me be perfectly clear about what is happening. I'll give you an example that has occurred repeatedly.
    1. I change Branwen's script from Cleric Passive to Fighter Defensive so that she will no longer cast spells unless I direct her to.
    2. My partner and I wander around the wilderness for a bit and get into a battle. Branwen behaves according to the rules of the Fighter Defensive script. The game is quicksaved after the battle.
    3. A short while later we get into another battle. A character dies, and so we reload the quicksave.
    4. The Character Arbitration screen comes up, we check our boxes (each of us controls two NPCs and a CHARNAME), and the game is reloaded.
    5. I open Branwen's character record and view the script to find that it has reverted to Cleric Passive.
    We will probably do some more testing this weekend. I wish to verify if it is happening to all characters, or just some. I also have a sneaking suspicion that it may just be a corrupted game file, so I'm going to test that theory, as well.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I would also check to make sure that neither you nor your friend are using mods of any kind; mods and multiplayer sometimes cause issues, especially if the setups aren't identical for both players.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I also have a sneaking suspicion that it may just be a corrupted game file, so I'm going to test that theory, as well.

I don't even think that is still possible anymore in the EE ;)
    I'll test in MP with the beta, this issue and this two:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34031
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34048